Re: Large chip production and dust collection

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:06:28 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
6" or 3", no problem if you're building it... mine is just a plastic trash can with 2 4" elbows, so your's would be 6" fittings... otherwise the same thing..
Every time I'm using the DC and hear something bigger than curls land in the separator, i'm glad that I made it.. *g*
I can also use it on the floor under the lathe, bandsaw, etc. without worrying about larger chips, small screws, etc... also, a trash can is a lot easier to empty, so I tend to use the DC more for floor than I would if I was emptying bags on the DC.. YMMV

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–
Have you guys seen Grizzly's new cyclone unit?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G0443
Pretty impressive if you need something that big. I've read through a lot of posts and web pages about (true) cyclones, and it would seem that conceptually, all DC machines should be built this way, but in the real world, I guess a "small" cyclone doesn't work? By small I mean, why couldn't you have a 1HP compact cyclone that used a diesel truck air filter? I mean, when you really think about it, the only thing different about a conventional DC and a Cyclone DC is reshaping some tin and placement of the fan.
A possible alternative to the cyclone is Jets barrel setup.
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action ήtail&iid785
From a space-saving point of view, this supposedly works pretty well, and you get the benefits of the cyclone concept without the frankenstein in the corner. There are other brands that do the same thing, offer a 2-stage DC without a true cyclone.
Mike
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:13:25 GMT, "Highland Pairos"

Add pictures here
βœ–

I've got the Delta that this one's spawned from, and stuff hits the bag only after the can's full.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:13:25 GMT, "Highland Pairos"

include some floor sweeps in your duct runs. very convenient for cleanup. also where you're likely to pick up chunks.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks for all the insights. I may see about making one of the quick homemade trash can separators for now. It sounds like that is just a matter of cutting some holes in a can lid and inserting a fitting. I definitely plan to install some floorsweeps and probably a drop for 2.5" vacuum hose.
SteveP.

Add pictures here
βœ–

There has been substantial discussion of the subtlties of shop made lids. a Google search should find those insights for you. A taller can seems to be better, BTW.
Enjoy!
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
I added a seperator to my puny 1 HP unit along with a larger top bag. While the larger top bag didn't make much difference, I noticed an increase in performance with the addition of the seperator. I assume this is from two things. First, the bottom bag doesn't fill up nearly as fast. Second, I think the 45 gallon trash can is acting like a vacuum tank to a degree. Of course, the seperator is much easier to deal with when it comes time to empty. With a good stack of boards, I've produced three trashcans full of fluffy shavings in an afternoon. Mark

planning
have
for
primary