Re: Large chip production and dust collection

6" or 3", no problem if you're building it... mine is just a plastic trash can with 2 4" elbows, so your's would be 6" fittings... otherwise the same thing..

Every time I'm using the DC and hear something bigger than curls land in the separator, i'm glad that I made it.. *g*

I can also use it on the floor under the lathe, bandsaw, etc. without worrying about larger chips, small screws, etc... also, a trash can is a lot easier to empty, so I tend to use the DC more for floor than I would if I was emptying bags on the DC.. YMMV

I do plan to buy/build a separator at some point, probably a cyclone unit. >I am going to run 6" from the impeller to the machines, so that kind of >kills the use of a trash can unit. > >SteveP. > >> "Highland Pairos" wrote in >> news:VHQXd.50$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny: >> >>> As I am waiting for the delivery of my dust collector, I have been >>> planning out the piping runs and the upgrades that I will be making. >>> I already have a Wynn filter here waiting for it. I have been >>> thinking about the need for a separator this whole time. My >>> understanding is that there are two primary reasons for a separator. >>> One is to reduce the frequency of bag changes, the second is to >>> protect the impeller and the filter from sizeable chips coming through >>> and damaging one or both. In the couple of weeks since I got my new >>> machines (TS, jointer and planer) I have noticed that none of them >>> produce chips that seem to be potential sources of damage to my DC. >>> The TS produces mostly dust, as expected, and the jointer and planer >>> produce mostly fluffy shavings. >>> >>> My question is what kind of machines or what kind of operations >>> produce the kind of chips that will damage a DC? >>> >> >> Floor sweeps. >> >> Band saws. >> >> Drill press chip collection, perhaps. >> >> The table saw sometimes sucks in thin offcuts, which I would prefer to >> stop, prior to their wedging themselves in the overhead ducting. >> >> Before I redid my system, with a trash can cyclone. I found also that >> picking up hand plane curlies with a wand on a hose tended to cause said >> curlies to wrap themselves around the impeller (fan). >> >> All good reasons to spend either a couple of hours, and/or $50, and >> buy/build a seperator. >> >> Patriarch >

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Have you guys seen Grizzly's new cyclone unit?

impressive if you need something that big. I've read through a lot of posts and web pages about (true) cyclones, and it would seem that conceptually, all DC machines should be built this way, but in the real world, I guess a "small" cyclone doesn't work? By small I mean, why couldn't you have a 1HP compact cyclone that used a diesel truck air filter? I mean, when you really think about it, the only thing different about a conventional DC and a Cyclone DC is reshaping some tin and placement of the fan.

A possible alternative to the cyclone is Jets barrel setup.

a space-saving point of view, this supposedly works pretty well, and you get the benefits of the cyclone concept without the frankenstein in the corner. There are other brands that do the same thing, offer a 2-stage DC without a true cyclone.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

include some floor sweeps in your duct runs. very convenient for cleanup. also where you're likely to pick up chunks.

Reply to
bridger

I've got the Delta that this one's spawned from, and stuff hits the bag only after the can's full.

Reply to
George

Thanks for all the insights. I may see about making one of the quick homemade trash can separators for now. It sounds like that is just a matter of cutting some holes in a can lid and inserting a fitting. I definitely plan to install some floorsweeps and probably a drop for 2.5" vacuum hose.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

I added a seperator to my puny 1 HP unit along with a larger top bag. While the larger top bag didn't make much difference, I noticed an increase in performance with the addition of the seperator. I assume this is from two things. First, the bottom bag doesn't fill up nearly as fast. Second, I think the 45 gallon trash can is acting like a vacuum tank to a degree. Of course, the seperator is much easier to deal with when it comes time to empty. With a good stack of boards, I've produced three trashcans full of fluffy shavings in an afternoon. Mark

Reply to
Mark

"Highland Pairos" wrote in news:ZynYd.226$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

There has been substantial discussion of the subtlties of shop made lids. a Google search should find those insights for you. A taller can seems to be better, BTW.

Enjoy!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch