Re: landscape timber deer planter plan

Let me guess. It's the middle of the night, you're tired and forgot what you were going to say?

LOL, Not middle of the night, I just got up.
Actually my answer was in the same secret code as the information provided concerning the particulars of the request. did your news reader not decifer the info? ;~)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33423672/ns/world_news-terrorism /

BTY I used the Domino yesterday to cut 192 mortise slots to receive 96 loose domino tennons.
I am starting the second stage of the bedroom project, head and foot board and under bed storage. I need 3.5" x 3.5" posts for the corners of the head and foot boards. And I need about 15 linear feet of post material. Pricing solid oak at $40 a linear foot in that size prompted me to make hollow birch plywood posts, I'll veneer with 3/16" thick white oak. Ill be doing some resawing today. The dominos were used to build up the posts, I might have gotten a little carried away. ;~)

Was that caused by the "domino effect?" ; )

I think it is part of Festool's plan to sell more Dominos tennons. LOL... Their accessory "indexing wings" allow for up to 250 mm spacing between dominos, IIRC. Of course you can free hand all the domino locations by marking the stock like you would with a biscuit joiner, but how much fun would that be?

From time to time I notice that HD carries [what appears to be] eight foot 4X4 fir posts, straight-grained even. Could these have been veneered or is the hollow birch plywood required for stability?
Dav e in Houston

Yes, I have considered fence posts but "straight" and as you mentioned, stability, is important to me. Plus I am at the moment planing on attaching the head board and foot board to the under bed storage unit via the posts. I want to use machine thread bolts and will probably use T-nuts inside the posts to receive the bolts.

I never considered these as "fence posts" per se. They are untreated and appear to be S4S. They actually look pretty good.
Dave in Houston

I naturally assumed fence post when you mentioned posts. I buy a lot of fence posts. Actually the cedar fence posts are usually pretty straight also. But, what I have done is "done" and they are very straight and should remain that way.

Actually, I was up in the middle of the night, was tired and neglected to decipher the info. :~)

Deer don't do well planted, they get all slick and stinky, a better plan would be to build a fence to put them in. ;)
basilisk