Re: Jute Chinking - Oakum source...

> Additionally, I spoke to an oldtimer, still in business, who said > packing floor gaps with jute, or similar, is rarely done anymore. He > recalled packing floor gaps with plumbers waxed cording, the stuff > plumbers used on cast iron piping. I remarked, that sounded similar > to what was used to pack boat shaft boxing, long ago. He said it was > the same stuff. He didn't recall the name of that packing and I don't > know, either. As for as using a waxed cording, long ago, I'm sure > floor finishing/refinishing techniques, if any in some of those cases, > were different than now, allowing for the waxed cording in some cases. > > Sonny >

For anyone curious or interested, oakum jute for caulking is still available...

Reply to
Digger

Re: Previous replies to my post... I knew someone would know what the product was. Oakum! ^5.

That oakum is greased. Maybe some oakum, there, is waxed, also. If one wants to color match a flooring, they need to get a raw, stainable jute. Greased or waxed oakum may not allow for finishing/sealing a "repair", either, if need be. Buying your own twine/rope allows one to get the best diameter size, or multiple sizes, to fit the need(s). Many floors have varying size gaps, especially older plank floors.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yep, understood. I was simply pointing out that, evidently it is still in demand and being used at least in the plumbing industry ...came as a huge surprise to me!

Cheers,

Reply to
Digger

Thanks for going the extra mile on the jute option. I cut some very thin pieces off scrap repair stock and we'll see how that goes. But I appreciate your extra effort and put a plus in your account.

Wasn't that song "The Old Oakum Bucket"? No, but that might have been an area of application for the material.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

BOD:

Here's an acronym the Internet gave me: TIL. Today I learned oakum can be jute. A quick, further look said it can also be hemp or, more widely, "rope fiber" used as a sealant with various impregnating compounds.

Thanks.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"rope fiber" - generally either hemp, jute, or Sisal, or a blend of 2 or more. Other fibers can also be used, including synthetics and cotton (most often used in "cording", not "rope")

Reply to
clare