Re: Jute Chinking - Oakum source...

For anyone curious or interested, oakum jute for caulking is still available...
<http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/P642oakum.asp <http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_other/contact_info.asp
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Re: Previous replies to my post... I knew someone would know what the product was. Oakum! ^5.
That oakum is greased. Maybe some oakum, there, is waxed, also. If one wants to color match a flooring, they need to get a raw, stainable jute. Greased or waxed oakum may not allow for finishing/sealing a "repair", either, if need be. Buying your own twine/rope allows one to get the best diameter size, or multiple sizes, to fit the need(s). Many floors have varying size gaps, especially older plank floors.
Sonny
On 5/11/2011 11:42 AM, Sonny wrote:

Yep, understood. I was simply pointing out that, evidently it is still in demand and being used at least in the plumbing industry ...came as a huge surprise to me!
Cheers,
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Sonny:
Thanks for going the extra mile on the jute option. I cut some very thin pieces off scrap repair stock and we'll see how that goes. But I appreciate your extra effort and put a plus in your account.
Wasn't that song "The Old Oakum Bucket"? No, but that might have been an area of application for the material.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

BOD:
Here's an acronym the Internet gave me: TIL. Today I learned oakum can be jute. A quick, further look said it can also be hemp or, more widely, "rope fiber" used as a sealant with various impregnating compounds.
Thanks.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Wed, 11 May 2011 19:05:26 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

"rope fiber" - generally either hemp, jute, or Sisal, or a blend of 2 or more. Other fibers can also be used, including synthetics and cotton (most often used in "cording", not "rope")