Re: Jig saw questions?

reposting since no replies yet.

The blade action is not straight up and down but orbital (elliptical) strokes

I'm expecting the Bosch 1590 under the Chirstmas tree. Never heard a bad work about them. Sure winner.

The Bosch because it is very good. Others may be very good also, but this seems to be the most recommended.

Never did a comparison so I can't say for sure how well it will perform.
Might look here:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/jigsaw/reviews.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3491 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!
Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:

1. The blade on an orbital jigsaw can be made to travel in a "hooking" motion on the upstroke, which causes it to cut much more aggressively. The motion is adjustable from no hook to quite a bit. These saws also have counterbalanced drives, which make them much smoother to operate.
2. Bosch, Porter Cable and Milwaukee all have their devoted fans. Some people prefer a barrel grip, some like a top handle. You like vanilla, I like chocolate. I think the things that separates these saws are details like ease in changing the blade. I have a Porter Cable, and I love everything about it except that the blade changing, while fast, is hard on the fingers. I think Bosch has one of the newest and best designs. Any one of them will be a tremendous improvement over your present saw.
3. Rigid is gaining a good reputation, but I wouldn't say they are the "best". Somebody is sure to disagree, but I consider them jobsite equipment that's fairly tough, but maybe doesn't have quite the finesse of the more expensive brands. I think of Rigid as the brand to buy for hourly labor to use.
DonkeyHody "We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit at the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers
Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:
> reposting since no replies yet. > >
This one has been beat to death.
What part of Bosch don't you understand?
Lew

I think few tools quite "lights up the room" to the same degree as the Bosch jig saw, at least not in that class or price range. The reviews have been so good or overwhelming I can hardly wait to buy one even though a jig saw is one of my least used shop tools...sure to change if I had a Bosch<G>...... anyway is this vaunted reputation just for the 1590/1591 or does it apply to any of the lessor brethren(less amps) or previous models(1587)? Rod
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:14:01 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"

I don't think the Collins Coping Foot fits the very latest Bosch. The foot adds even more utility to an already great tool, making very accurate cope cuts quite easy. I have a top handle 1587 that's kept me very happy over the years. Recently, I had the opportunity to try a Festool, and have to say it's even nicer than a Bosch.
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:14:01 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"

The 1584/87 has been the standard by which all others are measured (including the new 1590/91) for a long time. It had a predecessor, the 1581, which was virtually indistinguishible, and which was equally regarded.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

The Ridgid is a rebranded Metabo. I bought the Metabo before finding this out :-P The Metabo is a great jigsaw...I wrote up a review for it on Amazon. I thought it was a lot better than the older Bosch; I haven't handled the newer Bosch 1590 yet...
ken