Re: Jet...Junk?

Page 1 of 2
Bay Area Dave wrote:

I remember a patient who didn't want a particular doctor because he was of Indian extraction... no matter that he'd lived in this country since he was four years old. Turns out the patient was a garbageman. His mama must be proud of *him*.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd writes:

Reminds me of the college professor in NYC who sneered at the garbage men's strike back in the '60s. I asked him how much of a problem it would create if all the teachers in the city struck for 6 weeks. There isn't a damned thing wrong with being a garbage man. What's wrong with your guy is not his job.
Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton
My garbageman drives a fully restored '61 corvette. He lives about 3 blocks from where I do. As you say, nothing wrong with being a garbageman.
Mike

Too bad he can not afford a new one! ;-) Greg
Charlie Self wrote:

A fellow who wipes asses for a living doesn't think poorly of garbagemen's contributions to society in general. OTOH, this fellow had no business looking down his nose at the doctor because he was a little darker than others. The doc was raised and educated in Ohio. It was the blatant racism that offended me. The patient was openly abusive of any of the help who wasn't white. My attitude was, if he doesn't want their help, he doesn't need mine. Whenever he wanted something, I took my time finding him a white coworker.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

Does he carry his prejudice to the point of refusing himself certain medications, treatments & procedures? He'd probably be surprised that not all of the medical wonders we enjoy today were invented, discovered or developed by white, English speaking Christians in the USA. It would be interesting to find out what treatments/procedures/medications he needed to regain his health and what the religious, cultural etc. background of those who brought that treatment etc. to modern medicine was. If he knew, he would probably limit his own treatments to a nice big enema. (I _hope_ those were invented by white Europeans at least) But as that might be administered by a Filipino nurse...well, I guess that is out too. So...there he is, just one more bigot, full of shiRt!
DexAZ
Mortimer Schnerd notes:

What I said: his problem is not his job. His problem is that he is bigoted fool.
Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

I have hand and power tools from the USA, Canada (more and more <G>), Taiwan, England, Thailand, Mexico, and China, The American, Canadian, and Taiwan made power tools are excellent, if you spend decent money.
Anything that is subjected to high speeds, high loads, or stress that's made in China is not allowed in my shop, for safety reasons. I try to avoid most stuff from China, unless I'm pretty sure it's not made by slave labor. There are some Chinese factories that treat people decently, but many do not.
<http://www.nlcnet.org/
My better Delta stuff is USA made. However, I still can't use my band saw, as my fellow American who sealed the box, failed to notice that the cabinet top plate and motor access door weren't in said box. <G>
I've noticed that more and more of my tool choices seem to come from General and Veritas, with much of it made in Canada.
What bothers me about the "Global Economy" are the news sound bites of laid-off factory workers in Ohio, North Carolina, etc... complaining that the President hasn't created jobs, as they walk into _WAL*MART*! <G> We're choosing our own path here. Barry
This also applies to Harbor Freight and other trash tool importers.
wrote: <Snip>

"Bill McNutt" wrote in message

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it overseas to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities for goods production in Eco 101.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

You're not an American manufacturer if your stuff is made overseas. You are an American importer then.
Brian Elfert
"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

Agreed ... notice the trend?
Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to "Manufacturing".
With the number of manufacturing jobs being lost to this country, it's not hard to figure how much better that would be for the statistics.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Shoot Swingman, I thought McDonalds was imported food.
Leon wrote:

McDonalds has food? When did this happen?
I heard the same thing as Swingman, the Administration wants to reclassify fast food workers as manufacturing workers.
What's sad is there are people who will quote the new statistics with the new classification as though they were numbers under the old classification.

Mark

N.E. Ohio

I've heard that as well, but couldn't place a source.
Google turned up this: <http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR02454.html
Pretty ridiculous, eh? Our government in action.
Barry
"B a r r y" wrote in message

454.html>
Especially love the following:
"If fast food is classified as manufacturing, perhaps the neighborhood lemonade stand should be considered part of the military-industrial complex,"
yeah!! ... now you're really fooling us! LOL.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

It's funny, but the thought processes that can formulate that sort of nonsense should have been left to Monty Python. As political thought, it is scary.
My wife had heard this somewhere and I didn't believe it. But, then, I'm the guy who once told his first set of in-laws that I didn't believe Spiro Agnew had sold out as Governor of Maryland...my rationale was simple. 85K wasn't enough for a guy in his position. But, of course, it was.
Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

I heard that teaser too on NPR and stayed in the car long enough to listen to the whole story.
As ridiculous as it sounds, the commentator went on to say that the classification is pretty arbitrary. IIRC, "bakers" are an example of folks already classified as Manufacturers.
My take-home after the piece ended was that as absurd as the McDonald's reclassification was - the government's already done a bang-up job of screwing it up. Dubya' was, at best, "piling on".

FWIW, McDonalds does have "assembly" posters hanging in the kitchen, and they refer to the process as the "build". <G>
I'm quite sure that garbage like this can come from either side of the aisle on any given day.
Barry