Re: Japanese chisel - hollow back ?

: O

> :>You either tap it out with a hammer, or else you have to hone the back > :>every time you sharpen (essentially making the chisel thinner, and thus > :>the hollow shallower). Advocates of Japanese chisels say it's worth the > :>hassle. Others, like me, like to use a very good quality Western chisel, > :>hone and polish the back once, and be done with it! > > : you have to hone the back of anything you sharpen. atleast the final grit. > > Only to remove the bent-over wire edge produced by sharpening/honing > the primary face of the bevel. What makes the Japanese chisel > different, and disadventageous in my opinion, is the need to > remove metal from the entire back every time you sharpen. No Western > chisel, including laminated ones with very hard steel on the > cutting surface, have this drawback. > > The Japanese-style chisels sure look cool, but I think the > hollowing is a quirk, not a needed feature. > > > -- Andy Barss
Reply to
FOW

Not arguing with you, but the statement loses me. Why does a slight curve make any difference?

Charlie Self

Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm guessing it's like the way the handle on a slick curves away from the back of the blade. That way you can keep the whole of the chisel back referenced on the work without having the handle in the way (or having to have an extra-long blade so that the handle never contacts the wood).

An extreme version of the same principle would be a crank-neck chisel.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian