Re: Japanese chisel - hollow back ?

Try paring cut's with a Japanese chisel. You will never go back to western style chisels again ! They have there place in Woodworking. Might not buy more than 3-4 though.I just happen to own 2................1/8 in and a 1/2 in. one. NOT real good one's but medium grade. They are not meant to BANG on with a big hammer ! More like tapper hits, if ever. Try a 1/4 to a 1/2 in one first to see if you like the way they feel, before commiting to a full set.

Layne writes:

Not arguing with you, but the statement loses me. Why does a slight curve make any difference?
Charlie Self
Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote in message

I'm guessing it's like the way the handle on a slick curves away from the back of the blade. That way you can keep the whole of the chisel back referenced on the work without having the handle in the way (or having to have an extra-long blade so that the handle never contacts the wood).
An extreme version of the same principle would be a crank-neck chisel.
Chuck Vance