Re: Is Woodcraft in financial trouble?

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:49:13 -0700, Al Kyder wrote:

They may be closing some stores, but they're also opening a half dozen new ones. A successful retail business is mostly about the right location. If a store isn't doing well and proper management efforts aren't salvaging it, it just might have a bad location and need to be closed and relocated. It's not uncommon for businesses to shrink presence somewhere that's not lucrative.

Woodcraft has closed company-owned stores all over the U.S. as they convert to franchise operation. For example, her in Indianapolis, our company-owned store closed about two years ago; they just opened up a franchised store in June.
If anything, I think Woodcraft is probably experiencing great success in filling a relatively wide niche. How many of you can shop guilt-free at a place like Woodcraft but feel the need to take a shower and boil your wallet after visiting Home Depot? I've found the guys at Woodcraft to be good, intelligent, knowledgable people who actually DO this stuff for a living and work there because they love it. I've yet to run into a smarmy teenage employee talking a cell phone between customers, nor an employee who couldn't either answer a question, or gladly find an employee who can.

our local one did this. to my benefit.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Their retail stores charge the same prices as in their catalog or web site. Their overhead is paid from the discount Woodcraft provides to its franchises, which is their gross profit. Ordering direct from Woodcraft actually gives them MORE profit than their retail stores provide since they don't have to discount the goods. Besides, when you add S&H to your order and factor in the waiting time for it to arrive, are you really ahead even if you don't pay state taxes? But then, who wants to support their local businesses anyway?
Bob

Sales tax in my area is almost 10%. I tend to order most of my stuff mail order. Yeah I have to pay shipping but if I consolidate my orders it's still a lot cheaper. Not to mention the fact that I can usually get better prices to start with. Heck Amazon.com will beat prices and ship for free over a certain ammount. Thats hard to beat on a machinery purchase. I just can't see paying up to 20% more for say a table saw than I could buy it for online or mail order. One local independent store thats been around 30 years or better just got out of machinery all together for this very reason. He said there just wasn't enough profit in it. He put everything on clearence to get rid of it and now does strictly lumber and hand tools. I hate to see that but most of my friends in woodworking are like me. Frugal. God Bless, Al Kyder

Huh? Last time I looked at Amazon their prices were exactly the same as the local Woodcraft. And just try asking Amazon how to align the miter.
One local

Why do you hate to see that? You contributed to it.

Nice.
Bob

I'm pretty sure this was a troll.
Barry
wrote in snipped-for-privacy@wi.rrmessage

No. I happen to notice a couple woodcraft franchises went under. That makes me a troll? Don't assume Barry. You know what happens when you assume? I don't but I bet it's not pretty. God Bless, Al Kyder
On 8 Sep 2003 07:52:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Al Kyder) wrote:

A person who posts under the "Al Kyder", and mentions that he buys everything mail order sure looks like a troll to me. <G>
If it walks like a duck...
Barry

The what the manufacturers customer service and tech support is for.

Just because I take advantage of this changing econmy doesn't make me a bad guy. Why pay more when I don't have to. To heck with the tax man as well. I already render unto Ceaser more than he deserves.

I assume you are alluding that I was that poster Cass. Once again you are way off. What an ass. Not you :)..but Cass. Hey! That rhymed. God Bless, Al Kyder
I live about 120 miles south of St. Louis and we drive up there about once a month. Finding woodcraft was like a light in a dark room. I also order off line and have occasionally been disappointed in my purchase, but we always stop by Woodcraft. I may not always buy anything but to go in and touch and feel (and drool) some of the tools is a pleasure. Also getting to ask someone knowledgeable about certain tools (what's the difference between X and Y? How do they work? This is the type of woodworking I do, what do you suggest and why?) The guys up there have always been a great help in providing info and answering questions no matter how stupid. To me it's worth the drive up there. If I ever win the lottery or if some relative I don't know leaves me lots of $$$$ I'll be taking a Uhaul up there. I just wish I was close enough to take some of their classes.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:51:57 +0000, Mike S. wrote:

I live a few blocks from that St. Louis Woodcraft on Olive, it was the first place I went when I was getting started and the guys were super-helpful. It's not a huge store but their guys know what they're talking about.
The one here in Kansas City seems to be doing well enough. I will say it isn't the same as it used to be before they took 1/3 of the space and turned it into the "Woodcrafters Club" or whatever they call it. It's a great concept I think, and there's some very nice work coming out of there, but I'd rather have seen them put that in a separate, perhaps lower-rent building, or add on to the existing building (the space is there and unused) and leave the existing store alone. They now have far less space available for stationary tools, and everything else is very cramped compared to what it used to be. I'm sure the economics of all this works out for them, but I don't feel it was a good change to me as a frequent customer there, FWIW.
Mike Fairleigh

Are the stores franchises or are they company owned?
Al Kyder wrote:

We have a Woodcraft store here in Richmond, VA and those folks are great! Last year I bought a Jet Cabinet Saw that never worked (motor problem). After going back and forth with Jet, my electrician and Woodcraft - both Woodcraft and myself had had enough. The manager of the Woodcraft store came to my house, picked up the Jet saw, left a powermatic saw and had made a customer that will shop at Woodcraft till the day I die. Through the internet I can get a wide range of tools, books and equipment no local store can match - through the local store I get service the internet cannot match. I will go local everytime.
Rick
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Al Kyder) wrote in message

The store here in Austin is moving about 1/2 mile down the road into a larger space, so they must be doing well at least here.
Mike Brown
snipped-for-privacy@us.ibm.com says...

Here in Tucson, they are looking for an assistant manager. They are mailing the customers on their mailing list advertising the opening. I guess that really is not as odd as it sounds on the surface, as those customers are probably most likely to have at least a reasonable knowledge of woodworking.
Another advantage of a local store is the odd bits and pieces that go on sale, plus frequent sales on wood. You won't see these kind of things in the catalogs or fliers.
couple weeks ago, I picked up a big chunck of eucypl..(spelling?) burl for $15.00. it was cracking and splitting along one side, but there are dozens of pens worth of wood in this block. Come to think of it...maybe I should use it for one of those new chess set kits they are selling now? That would be a great excuse to look for some contrasting wood for the other half of the chess set. :)
John
snipped-for-privacy@us.ibm.com (Mike Brown) wrote in message

Wow, that's good to know. When? Where?
Thanks, Mike