Re: Ipe decking

- Rico dJour -

- Nehmo - One of my goals in life is to make a deck with that stuff. It's so expensive though, it has to be the right customer. I probably talk somebody into it later this year - if I'm still in this line.
I don't have any experience with ipe except for looking at some and examining an already-built ipe deck. I can say that the ipe I sampled didn't "splinter" as your piece did. And the poster of this article seems to say that splintering is uncommon. http://snipurl.com/464w Maybe there's a range in quality. Whatever the case, sanding the touchable surfaces with a high # grit after the deck is done couldn't hurt. Considering the customer is going to pay a bundle anyway, how much trouble could it be?.
- Rico dJour -

- Nehmo - Your presentation backfired. Clean up for it quick by bringing him a better sample. Go to the hardwood showroom and evaluate some pieces by licking with your tongue first. Explain to the employees you always do that.
- Rico dJour -

- Nehmo - You've probably already heard about the Consumer Reports report about wood treatments: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/consumerreports/080601_CR_decked.html A usenet article about it http://snipurl.com/463w
But form what I read, maybe you shouldn't bother at all to treat.
How big will this deck be?
What thickness are you planning the actual decking to be?
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *