RE: innovative tools

The silly advertising thread in here raised and interesting question. What was the last TRULY innovative hand or power tool that hit the general market? The DeWalt combi mitre/table saw maybe?

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

Saw Stop.

Reply to
Locutus

You didn't say how long to go back, so I vote for the hand plane

Biscuit joiner is pretty cool for more modern stuff

Reply to
MB

Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane & Large Shoulder Plane

Glen-Drake Tite-Mark marking gauge - with option for a pair of mortise scribes

JoinTech Clincher precision fence postioning system Cabinet Maker Fence

Festool Plunge Circular Saw with riving knife Straight Edge Guide

Leight FMT Jig

Japanese Pull Saws - not the saws themselves, they've been around a long long time, but their hitting the U.S. market

Battery Powered Impact Driver though not in every home handyman's garage yet it will be

Dewalt Dewalt 621 Plunge Router incorporating - electronic variable speed - soft start - on/off switch on one of the handles - plunge lock on the other handle - dust collection port in one of the plunge columns

Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

Will stop there.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I said the LAST truly innovative tool which would mean the most recent. There must have been some new ideas since the hand plane. Then again, maybe your standards are REALLY high!

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

Festool Domino

Reply to
Leon

I agree. An outstanding router.

Instead of my 4 different routers (2 PC, 2 DW) it would have been smarter to just get 2 or 3 DW 621s. Then the jigs would have been interchangeable...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

"Mark Jerde" wrote in news:12Bih.3206$Iy5.1893@trnddc01:

Well, yeah. But it took those three or four other routers to find the 'one' that you want to work with.

Learning isn't necessarily cheap.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Yabbut then I'm really a "cut it three times and it's still too short" guy. The 621 was my first router. (We won't talk about the 1/4" Craftsman Christmas gift from SWMBO, with its random-height and variable alignment "features.")

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Screwdrivers with multiple tips.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

The standardized 1/4" hex shank perhaps. Screwdrivers with intgerchangeable tips go _way_ back. The old Yankee screwdrivers have interchangeable tips that go in like it was for keeps. Had one for, well, I don't know how long--I was a little kid when I first noticed it, before I realized that the tip was removable. Probably never would have if I hadn't noticed a set of tips for it at Sears one day.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The one I have in mind is labeled "Workforce" and it doubles as a hex driver for two sizes ... 1/4 & 5/16, IIRC. The drive shaft holds a double-ended bit at each end with one end of the shaft inserted into the handle.

I did machine maintenance for 3 years and it and a couple of small crescent wrenches kept me from having to lug a toolbox around. (That stinkin' tool pouch weighed plenty already!)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit