Re: In the interest of woodworking content - Part Deux: FINISHED

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopCustomMedicineCabinets#5788123865569913410
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/14/2012 3:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopCustomMedicineCabinets#5788123865569913410
Those look great, I like the stepped frame look.
On 9/14/2012 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Thanks ... getting the 'frame-within-a-frame' design element on those last two cabinets was very important to the client. Both sets of cabinets had some out of the ordinary spec's ... not fancy, just made it more fun than a carcase and a face frame.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Hey, Swing. Are you going to use the glass shelves direct in the wooden housings, then affix the mirror door to them, too? I thought these were boxes to hold the entire Kohler cabs.
P.S: Do you know what finish the end user will use (probably smear) on it?
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois
On 9/14/2012 5:58 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Run back through the photos and you will see there are four cabinets, with two separate styles:
Two flush mount medicine cabinets for over the sinks in two bathrooms.
Two glass shelf cabinets going over the commodes in the two bathrooms.

Yep, it appears so ... after physically seeing a prototype chair I built with poplar using General Finishes "Java" Gel Stain, it will be most likely be literally smeared thusly.:)
The poplar prototype chair, with some pretty bodacious poplar popsicle colors in it (lime green, I'm told), turned out not all that bad, and you can see the grain:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsChairReproduction2006#5651184425704906610
Turns out it is exactly the effect this particular client was looking for, but didn't know how to achieve ... (AAMOF, I gave him that _old_ leftover can of Java gel stain, and some project maple scraps to practice on, and he apparently likes what he's getting.
Besides, not my problem (for a change) ... ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

So there are! Cool.

I _knew_ it. <sigh>

'Taint lime green nohow. Brown with a bit of red.

I like the oak one much, much better. http://tinyurl.com/8cq7w4x
The one on the right is butt fugly, colorwise. http://tinyurl.com/95cdrh6

Congrats, sir! Nice work, as usual, too.
-- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
On 9/14/2012 11:02 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm at the mercy of those who didn't color grass pink until they learned how to read ...

That's why I built six of them ...

You don't look in the mouth of ten dollar chair from a garage sale.
Besides, that chair is at least 100 years older than we are, and abused by some misguided female (refinished) ... sound familiar? LOL

Thank you, kind sir!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Not poplar? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to detail.

Sure you do. You rinse its mouth out with any solvent which will take that butt fugly color off it, too. But ya got a point.

Too, too familiar. Almost as bad as whitewashed wood.