Re: In defense of anonymity

I don't disapprove at all. I just factor it in if the thread takes a "interesting" turn.

I'm not sure I agree with the "anonymous" part. I think you're saying "I'll keep my email address private." To me, that's not anonymity.
Some folks choose to have unlisted telephone numbers. That's fine by me. I do think posting with you're real name or a "thinly veiled" nom de' newsgroups is valuable.
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:58:09 +0000, patrick conroy wrote:

I'll think about it. Thanks for your comments.

*Technique* counts!
I post with a valid, unmunged, e-mail address, and have for years. The _same_ address, in fact.
See, I've got the next-best thing to a 'psychic mail-server'. <grin>
*IF* you 'reply' to one of my postings, from =inside= your news-reader, It is almost certain that I'll see it.
If somebody 'scrapes' that address, and tries to send mail to it -directly-, The incoming message is _rejected_ by my mail-server, with the error-code telling a _person_ how they can send mail that will get through.
To date, _that_ system has not had even a -single- 'false positive'. *NOBODY* has used the method described in the error message.