Re: Idiots!!!

Page 2 of 2
I KNEW that would be your response, too. As soon as I wrote it, I thought, "Doug is just going to tell me he was messin' with me." Was I right, or was I right? :)
So do you find it frustrating to be smarter than most of humanity? Bet you get sick of dealing with us dummies all the time. Is your family and friends all on the brighter side? Ever met anyone who intimidated you with their intelligence and knowledge? Have you ever patented anything? Do you have artistic ability also? Sure wish I had some; I've been struggling to get that darn quilt rack pattern finished so I can start cutting up some oak... (I managed to get this sucker on topic, FINALLY! :) )
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Wow -- you're psychic! Not among my talents, I'm afraid.

I was blessed with a quarter-century in a career field (computer programming) populated largely by highly intelligent people. That has minimized the frustrations.

I'm bothered mostly by people who fail, or worse, refuse, to use whatever degree of intelligence they have. I'm pretty sure that the guy I hired a few years ago to plaster a 4x6' hole in a wall where there used to be a window wouldn't outscore me on an IQ test. I'm _dead_certain_ that I'll never, ever, even begin to approach his skill with a trowel.

Yes. Especially my mother (4.0 GPA in her doctorate program), my wife and kids, and almost everyone in my wife's family. Her brother's IQ was measured somewhere in the 180s IIRC. One of her cousins used to work for NASA as an aerospace engineer, calculating orbital trajectories for the Apollo moon missions; he's probably the smartest person I've ever met.

No. Impressed me, yes, many times. Intimidated me, never.

Not yet. :-)

I wish. My older son, my wife, and most of her family have it. Her father is a truly accomplished woodcarver. Not me. Nor am I athletically gifted; quite the contrary, in fact, except that I can probably kick your tail at table tennis. I play the piano with some degree of ability. My aptitudes are mainly mechanical, logical, and mathematical.
Doug, thanks for taking the time to answer my long list of "nosy" questions. <g> Not being creative is my biggest disappointment. Like my folks I can't sing or paint, but I did have a blast playing guitar (clumsily) in a "rock and roll" band in the 60's. We weren't well known beyond our area, but we enjoyed the heck out of playing, even in our somewhat inept manner.
I can see why programming would be the logical choice for someone with above average intelligence and a great grasp of logic. I've got an adult son who is smarter than me; guess what field he gravitated to, by age 8?
I'm impressed by anyone who has their act together and treats everyone well, even when things aren't going their way.
re: table tennis, which I always called Ping Pong. I remember playing on a regular dining table, which was way under regulation size. Trying to keep the ball from sailing over the far edge was tough for an uncoordinated kid of 11. I did better with bowling, although I whacked my left shin at the foul line more than a couple of times with the ball. I also launched it backwards once or twice. Breaking 200 was fun when it happened. Played on a champion Little League team one year. We won because we practiced SEVEN days a week for the entire season. That was a memory to last me a lifetime. I recently ran across some of the pictures of my team and our "World Series" game that my dad took back in '61. Scanned in to my pc so I'll have my own copies to look at "whenever".
Sheesh, this is starting to smack of "diary" material! Forgive my rambling...
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

You did better than I did. I tried learning to play guitar my sophomore year of high school. The only thing that kept me from being a complete failure at it was that eight years of piano lessons had taught me _real_ well how to read music. To call me a clumsy, inept guitarist would be a kindness.

The odd thing there is that I got started in it almost by chance. I took a programming course my senior year of HS because a couple of friends had taken it the year before and said it was fun. I thought so too, so I took more programming classes in college, more for the fun of it than anything else. I started college as a chemistry major, planning to be a chemist or chemical engineer. Eventually it dawned on me that I was making better grades in the math and computer science courses, working only a fourth as hard, and enjoying it twice as much, so I changed majors. About six months after that, I realized that I could actually get paid real money for writing software.

The same, I suppose? What exactly is he doing?

I try. Don't always succeed.

The difference is about 50 mph. :-)

Been there, done that. I bowl poorly (average around 100). Best game ever was 142.

Cool. I've always enjoyed baseball, both as a participant and a spectator. Don't play it real well, though, and never did. I used to be able to throw hard, and I can still throw a curve, for whatever little that might be worth. My older son shows some promise, though. Not yet sixteen, and he throws just a squeak under 70mph, and pretty accurately, too. And two years ago in a Little League game, he hit a home run to straightaway center field (320 ft) that cleared the fence by a good 35 or 40 feet.

No prob.
-- Regards, Doug Miller
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com
I'll respond inline for a change...
Doug Miller wrote:
snip

He got interested in pc's when I began dabbling in them in 85. I used my pc in my business from 85 to 88 and then brought it home when I sold my business. My kid started tinkering on our AT&T 6300; no mouse; no color; no Windoze...I could tell right away that he'd found his niche. He's trying to get a consulting business off the ground, but I'd prefer to see him go to work at a large or medium company first. He was getting set to graduate with good grades when an illness set him back, so he is in the process of thinking of rescheduling the last couple of senior classes that he muffed so he can get his sheepskin. Whenever we get together he talks WAY over my wife's and my head, but we nod knowingly like we understand every word. <g> Wish he were more rounded; ALL he talks about is technology. But he's my kid, so I love him!

Me either <g>

Like in Forrest Gump?

My bowling days are over due to the same thing that forced me to sell my business; a ruptured disk. Followed by another one 7 years later. The worst position I can get into is putting my arms straight over my head. Extending my arms straight out or up, with weight on them puts on heck of a strain on my neck. Boy is 3/4" MDF a bear to work with!

There isn't much in sports I've played that is more satisfying than connecting with a fast ball and watching it fly over the outfielders heads! Bowling a bunch of strikes in a row is cool, but taking a good cut with a WOODEN bat is something no kid forgets. Now they use those silly sounding metal bats. Yecch!

Thanks for indulging me!
dave
[snip]

Yep.
-- Regards, Doug Miller
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com
I kind of wonder whether you are the troll dave
wrote:

ever
than
build
Damned if i know wrote:

A couple of months back, there was a thread called "BAD is a troll."
Therefore, he must be. I read it on the Internet so it must be right.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Damned if i know wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

I don't think that's limited to Mensa members. It seems to be a predominant trait that goes with high intelligence. I'm supposedly a genius, but my social skills vary from slim to none. And the same applies to all the other folks I know with high IQs - and I don't know any who are Mensa members.
BTW, I'm not bragging. I was born with a better than average brain - I had nothing to do with it :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

To an extent, I suppose I agree with you -- but it seems to me that many of the people I know at church are at least as bright as the ones I met through Mensa. And the ones at church are almost without exception more sociable, and more successful, than most of the Mensans. IMO, Mensa tends to attract those whose lack of social skills makes them ill-suited for socializing in other fora.
FWIW, Mensa isn't anywhere nearly as selective as many people believe it to be. The *sole* criterion for eligibility is to score at or above the 98th percentile, just once, on any of about twenty standardized tests that they accept as qualifiers. As such, about one person in fifty is eligible.
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:57:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

                ?

Not sure quite what you're questioning, so I'll address it two different ways.
Yes, that is indeed Mensa's sole criterion for eligibility. The only other criterion for membership is the ability to pay the annual fee. See http://www.mensa.org/info.html , about half-way down under "How do I qualify for Mensa?".
Scoring at the 98th percentile means outscoring 98 percent of your fellows, i.e. being in the top two percent, or one in fifty. It isn't *exactly* one in fifty because all you have to do to be eligible is to score that high *once*. Somebody who isn't quite that bright, but takes the test a hundred times and happens _one_time_ to have an exceptionally good or lucky day, qualifies. Likewise, very bright people who for whatever reason (anxiety, poor memory, or what have you) do poorly on tests, may never qualify.
To be more accurate, it means scoring better than or equal to 98 percent.
Glen
"Doug Miller" wrote > >

fellows,

Exactly (and succintly put).
If it's "about one in 50", why raise the issue of one pass in many tests ?

The fact that one score at the 98th percentile, regardless of the number of attempts, qualifies one, is the reason that the qualifiers are "about" one in 50 instead of *exactly* one in 50.
-- Regards, Doug Miller
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com
Doug Miller wrote:

It isn't any differrent. Only decent peson I met there was a mechanic. the rest were a waste of skin.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

_Nobody_ is a waste of skin.
Imagine the mess they'd make without it.
Andy Dingley wrote:

You forget, I'm a nurse. I've seen de-gloving and major burns. I've worked ER and seen terminal road rash. They were a waste of skin. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: