Re: Idiots!!!

Page 1 of 2
On 2/15/04 3:43 PM, in article cMRXb.1440$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com,

How about a moderator? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!! (Couldn't resist after recent posts etc.)

No, no, I really think we should. I nominate a committee: Steve Strickland Ed Bennett Woodworker Joe Dennis O'Connor Bay Area Dave myself
That should keep things interesting!
I decline the invitation...
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Is this going to be a *new* group . . "wreckmoderator.fight"?
Posting by the moderators only, but can be read by all, watch the committee make the decisions about which posts shall be seen on the wreck?
Sounds good to me, we can advertise it as the latest in Usenet humor/irony/satire!!!!
(R,D,&G)
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

a better solution would be to split the group into rec.woodworking and rec.woodworking.trolls.....
<GD&R>
Bridger wrote:

"Everybody" knows how stoopid this would be. A better solution would be:
rec.woodworking rec.woodworking.trolls
and,
rec.woodworking.PURPLE!!!
UA100

I use Xnews too, but I haven't figured out what you did exactly. Could you please post how to make Xnews block those posts?
--
Best regards
Han

XNews uses the "Score File" to do things like this. What you want to do is set up a scroe file entry so that the objectionable posts are killed. Score files work on words that are in the message header.
Step 1 Select one of the objectionable posts. Pick one that has an objectionable word in the title, like penis.
Step 2 Using the menu select Article->Add to Score File.
Step 3 The dialog is divided into groups numbered 1 through 5 and there is a 6th unnumberd one at the bottom.
In 1 Existing Section should be selected and ^\rec\.woodworking should be in the list. I haven't a clue as to what the special carachters mean.
In Section 2, Score Value, select Kill
In Section 3 Expires in: select never expire
In Section 4 I used the Subject field. Push the Subject button. The rest of the line becomes un-grayed. The right hand field should have the subject the article had. Edit it so that only the word Penis is present. It ignores case so upper or lower will work fine.
Ignore the rest of section 4 and 5.
Check the box "Rescore on Apply"
Push the apply button.
The Add to score file dialog will go away and return you to the news group. All of the messages in the group with the word penis in the subject will now be marked for killing.
The marked articles are still shown to you because this will be your only way to "test" things. When the news group is closed and re-opened they will just be gone.
I had not had to any score file stuff before but when we got flooded last week I went to the help menu and started reading. You can get a lot fancier with scroring but for now I just went through and repeated the process about 5 times with different words and they all went away. I haven't seen any since.
Another way to do the same thing is to use the Special->Edit Score file command.
I could send you, or post a copy of my score file. You could then save or paste mine into your scroe file and your settings would be the same as mine. I wont do that right now because it would require posting all of thos objectionable words. It is also good for you to learn how to add things through the reqular user inteface.
One of the good things scoring does is it allows you to make certain posters or threads as interesting. Then when a message from one of them comes in it is brought to your attention.
I hope this helped.

^ means "begins with"
\ means read the next character as literally what it is, rather than as having any special meaning. In regular-expression syntax, dot means "match any character"; backslash-dot means "just a dot".
How do you make the "begins with" character? I've always wondered that.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

On "U.S. ENGLISH" style keyboards it's "shift 6"
Ditto with the layout for several European Languages.
Can't guarantee where it is on _your_ keyboard, however. <grin>
Well, shit! I just looked at another keyboard and there it is for the world to see!!! Most of the letters and numbers are worn off this one. Guess it's time to make a trip and get me a new one! Color me red!!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Thanks Joe!

Betcha he's a member of Mensa...
;-)
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca wrote:

the people I met in Mensa were losers. Highly intelligent, but still losers. Many lack the ability to interact successfully with others.
oh, kinda like YOU?? (I couldn't resist, Doug!)
But now I have an explanation for your superior attitude. Have you ever entered a conversation on ANY topic that you didn't know more about than anyone you've met?
dave
Doug Miller wrote:
snip

yourself up is by tearing me down.
Doug, don't be so serious all the time. I was jerking your chain. couldn't you tell by the "I couldn't resist..." comment?
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

And I was jerking your chain, Dave. Guess I should've put a smiley on it, huh?