Re: I need a good Random Orbit Sander...

I have both. Can't say one is better than the other as they both perform well. The real test will be 2 or 5 or 10 years from now to see which is still going. The PC333 takes 5 hole paper, the DW takes 8 hole. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I have the BOSCH 6" ... very well made, runs cools, will hog a lot of wood with the right grit, the bag catches most of the dust, and it takes hook n' loop paper. Although a bit pricey, it was well worth it, IMO, and I would buy it again.
Next to the TS, one of the most used tools in the shop.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/16/03

I have had my Dewalt 421 for several years and have never regretted buying it.
Dick Durbin Tallahassee
"Mike Faust" writes:

The following are my personal opinions which when coupled with a $5 bill will allow you to get a cup of coffee in a cheap restaurant.
5" dia machines are a waste of time.
Bosch makes a good 6" dia machine. I beat the crap out of it and it has survived almost 6 years.
Since 6" is better than 5", it stands to reason that 8" is better than 6".
If you truly have a lot of sanding to do, look at the 8" Fein, just don't have sticker shock.
Like everything they make, Fein is very proud of their equipment and prices it accordingly.
HTH
--
Lew

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:53:08 GMT, "Mike Faust"

    I'll second the Bosch.
    Unless, of course, you like sanding so much that you want to stretch the job out as long as you can. Then you wouldn't like the Bosch. It works too quickly.
            Peter
I like the 333 Porter Cable but I saw a post a few days ago that did not.

I have an old PC I think 333 for about 6 years or so, dust canister left a long time a go, had to put on new hook and loop base but it keeps on spinning. I think the new ones have a better canister. I would buy it again.

I've used both Porter Cable 5" 333 and 6" 97366 random orbital sanders. For large areas the 6" removes more faster and is less fatiguing due to the barrel grip. The 5" has a higher rpm which I believe leaves less swirls and scratches and being an upright lighter sander it's more maneuverable and agile. I've never found a need for a variable speed sander so if they offered one I'd pick it over the VS.

When I sold all my woodworking equipment after the divorce, I had the PC 333. I loved it - no swirls - variable speed - etc. I began to dabble a bit a year ago. The first thing I purchased was the same sander. I've tried the DW - the PC is easier to use and performs great. Why re-invent?
Jim

"Dabble"?????? I thought only Mallards & others of same ilk did that! (R,D,&G)
G'day Jums. Nahmie
I do not like my PC 333VS. The dust canister will not stay on and the thing that holds the paper on has broken. Needs to have the screw threads redone.
I am going to get a DeWalt.
Rob

Ditto my old PC333 that didn't even survive a year. Canister kept popping off. I think the clutch eventually died.
I'll probably either get a 6" Bosch or Metabo, but leaning toward the Metabo because of the multiple orbital radius feature...
ken