Re: HUMOR: Getting even at Home Depot

Page 2 of 8

With all this whining, I can't imagine what some would say about the local big-box store with a "pregnant women or with infants" reserved parking spot.
Mind, I wonder why men with infants can't use it... :-)
Mike
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:18:17 -0400, "Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net"

No...I don't.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 03:53:02 GMT, "Michael Daly"

So it really IS only $250!! lol
Hope ya'll had a nice weekend...
Trent

Around here, the police dept has a volunteer parking enforcement brigade made up of joe/jane citizens. They have no legal authority other than to issue citations for such instances as folks parking in the handicapped spaces with no valid permit. They are not to confront or get "into it" with anyone, but the ticket is just as valid as if a PD officer had stuck it to the windshield.

up, that he would paste on cars that were parked in handicapped spaces without a permit.
The stickers said "I am an asshole. I park in handicap spaces."

    I like it.
    There are several handicapped spots in front of our local grocery store. They are the favorite parking place of the pickup jockeys who stop in for their Slim Jims and 12-packs of Anheuser-Busch products, the empties of which they use to decorate the roadsides on their way home.
    The shopping cart corrals aren't too far from the handicapped parking spaces. When the opportunity presents itself, I wait until the bozo gets into the store, then I surround his cowboy Cadillac with haphazard blocks of carts. This takes only a few moments. The time he saves by parking right in front of the store is lost in clearing a path back into his vehicle.
Scott, closet vigilante

    I like it.
    There are several handicapped spots in front of our local grocery store. They are the favorite parking place of the pickup jockeys who stop in for their Slim Jims and 12-packs of Anheuser-Busch products, the empties of which they use to decorate the roadsides on their way home.
    The shopping cart corrals aren't too far from the handicapped parking spaces. When the opportunity presents itself, I wait until the bozo gets into the store, then I surround his cowboy Cadillac with haphazard blocks of carts. This takes only a few moments. The time he saves by parking right in front of the store is lost in clearing a path back into his vehicle.
Scott, closet vigilante

Hmmmmm. Sort of like what we used to say about those "Reserved for General Officer" spaces in the exchange parking lot. Closer than the handicapped....

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:31:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Right up there with the "Ask me how I'me destroying the environment" stickers that were getting plastered on Hummers, Suburbans, etc... in SF Bay Area malls.
Barry

so vandalism is ok, including the possible cost of an expensive paint job replacement?

You really, really _need_ to work harder on your reading comprehension there, Charlie. Nowhere did I recommend, endorse, or condone vandalism.
Mike, with at least a 12 ga. to 'dissuade' all but the invited visitors !!!

What law? I never heard that before.

This isn't true in my area. There's a $250 fine for parking in a handicap spot without a permit. You hardly ever see someone in those spots without a permit. Its an easy $250 for the city.
Hope ya'll had a nice weekend...
Trent

We're going through that right now. Our chucrch is remodeling, and the law requires so many handicapped spots per customer, even though there's maybe one or two disabled folks in the whole church. Also can no longer use the upstairs meeting and storage rooms because you can't get a wheelchair up there.
GTO(John)
@aol.com says...

Yep, went through that in our congregation in Texas re number of parking spaces required and with our new building here in Tucson re not being able to have a choir loft because everyone has to be able to access everything.
For our congregation in Texas, we had, at most, only two people at any one time that ever needed handicapped spaces, yet we were required to have (IIRC) six spaces because of the building occupancy capacity. This actually wound up using 8 actual parking spaces in a very expensive parking lot expansion because of the extra width required for the handicapped spaces. Now, given that we were church, if the time ever came where more than two or three spaces were required, we would have voluntarily expanded our capacity to accomodate those who needed the spaces -- yet this was not acceptable, we had to have those empty spaces regardless of whether they *ever* got used.
Conversely, our congregation in Tucson has a large contingent of older parishoners who require handicapped spaces. We could be perfectly compliant with the law regarding number of spaces and would not be serving our members because there are more handicapped people than required spaces, thus we have more spaces than the law requires.

My daughter took some dance classes at a place that had about a dozen reserved handicap spaces in front of it - this is in front of a dance studio.
There was only one other business - right next door to the dance studio - indoor rock climbing.
Gotta love it.
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Tom Watson responds:

True. But many long years ago, I lived in an apartment with a bunch of guys, one of whom tended to date models and dancers (he was a patent attorney: the rest of us could afford to date only your run-of-the-mill NYC beauties, of which there is always a sufficiency). With the dancers, aches, groans and Ace bandages were the norm. I ever saw so many elastic bandages before that period of my life, nor so many limps.
All of which magically disappear during auditions and shows.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:59:28 GMT, "Scratch Ankle Wood"

Take a deep breath and try to relax.
Enjoying the ironic aspects of life is like enjoying a magic trick.
If you explain it away you suck all the fun out of it.
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

That's what *I* was trying to say, Tom.
Stand up for me, too, will ya!?
Hey...I *LIKE* handicapped people...REALLY!!! lol
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent
And I always felt sorry for Captain Hook!! REALLY!!! lol

*seem*, but the handicap spots are a long term thing where as the businesses occupying the space are transient (especially something as trendy as rock-climbing). Also the business could employ someone that is handicaped (The rock climbing place could have a parapalegic working behind the counter). It is kind of hard to say what type of establishment might have handicap people visiting or how many there could be on any given day. Now, do we REALLY NEED handicap spots everywhere in every parking lot? No, not at all. On the other hand would it kill any of us to walk just a little further to get to where we are going? Maybe there would be a few less obese (and possible future owners of handicap plates) if more of us would walk a little.
It always cracks me up when I go to the mall and drive past people waiting for a spot close to the door, then walk past them again on my way into the mall while they are still waiting for a close spot. I saved time and maybe added a few more hours of life to my heart.
-Chris