Re: How to keep Kerf open???

Can you bandsaw it?

If your using a tablesaw try cutting 3 inches deep then flipping the board over and cutting the other 3". Are you trying to cut the whole 6" at once?

Sincerely, Rich

I just started to resaw my first piece. It is a 6" wide x 17"long x 2" thick > piece of white oak. I am trying to resaw this into two 1" thick pieces of > stock. My problem is approx 4" into the cut the saw kerf collapsed on the > blade - end of operation. What do you recommend for material, tools or > techniques to keep the kerf open behind the blade?? A googe search on the > group and the web doesn't turn up any useful info. > > Thank You in advance for your help. > JOE SHEA > snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net > 7/29/2003 > > -- > > >
Reply to
Rich

I assume that you're doing this on a bandsaw since it would be a pretty big circular saw to cut 6" in one pass. I would put a wedge or a thin piece of wood in the closed kerf, carefully start the saw, and continue the cut. Hard to say if either of the resulting pieces will be straight enough to use. Please tell us how this turns out. ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure