Re: How Long to Make a .......?

long it took you the first time and how long does it take you from start

> to finish now. I would like to have a few real life examples to discuss > with clients to show typical design times. Thanks, JG

I made a Tudor bench. Started it in May, 2002 Finished it in April 2003. When I realized it would not be finished by Labor Day. I put it aside for the winter as I did not want to leave it outside when it would not have been even sat upon, so finished it the following spring.

Stated a second one a couple of weeks ago. It will be finished maybe two more weekends. Why the big difference? For the first one, I made some templates for the arms, crest, etc. The time it took to make them was paid back now. I've also increased my skill level and have a few more tools to simplify. Actual build time will be less than half this go around.

A few other things I've made as a repeat, the time was cut about 20 to 30%. Design was done, tough setups simplified. I've also made a few projects for the grandkids. Making three or four of the same item adds only about 50% more time than making one.

At a Scott Phillips seminar, he showed a box that he makes for sale at local specialty shops. First one was over ten hours, now it is less than two hours.

Since I don't make anything for money, time is less critical for me than a pro. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

IMHO, if you are dealing with clients whose pockets are so shallow they have to ask you to justify how long it takes to do a task, you need to find new clients.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but shallow pocket customers need to be given directions to the local IKEA, IMHO.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Let's see...

When the wife and I first started dating...

Oh...never mind!

Ah, yes...woodworking! lol

In general...about 50% less time...as you mentioned in yer post. You don't have to worry about the layout. And you already know what problems you've had...and how to solve them.

I made a microwave cabinet a while back...that sits on the left side of our stove. I'm soon gonna build something almost identical for the right side. I've already saved time...this time I had the Borg cut the pieces for me! And I'm gonna use pocket holes...instead of clamps.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Wed, Jun 2, 2004, 2:54am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) says: Since I don't make anything for money, time is less critical for me than a pro.

I think what you meant to say was... LMAO

I do sell something once in awhile, but as I'm not doing it for a living, I pretty much agree. I like to know how long it takes for each stage of a project, and it's fun to cut down time. But, while I might be able to make whatever in just an hour or so of actual work time, it may take me a week to actually finish one. If I could find a reliable outlet for X number of pieces a week, I would probably be more concerned about the time factor; but, as it wouldn't be my major income source, not a bunch more. I do like to be efficient tho, so would continually strive to up the work quality, and lower the work time. But, when it starts to get to be work, I'd probably stop. I'm in it for the relaxation and enjoyment, maybe a $ or so once in awhile, but not "the money".

JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later.

- JOAT

Reply to
J T