Re: How do you guys afford this hobby? (again)

Page 2 of 2
1) Only one MAJOR tool purchase per year. been at this for about 10 years now and I still don't have a band saw.
2) amazon.com wish lists.
amazed that woodworkers warehouse et al don't have registries.
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:57:39 GMT, "Randy Chapman"

Go to Harvard and get an MBA, get a good job or start a company, and buy whatever you want. Believe it or not, there is an article in one of my woodworking magazines that actually says this...I may not have quoted exactly. ;)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JimC622911) wrote:

Sometimes you reach a little deeper than you'd like.
I never gave much thought to estate sales 'til I happened on one in rec.models.rc.air
As a result I made off with the entire balsa stock from the estate sale of the deceased owner of a major model airplane factory.
85% rough cut, 5% finish sanded, and the rest is finished dimension aircraft grade birch ply. Filled a 5 x 8 U-Haul to the brim.
That's not a lot of wood to a furniture or cabinet maker, but a 5' x 5' x 8' stack of dried seasoned balsa is a _lot_ of balsa to a giant scale model airplane builder.
Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

What did you build with it?
WEs