Re: How do I make wooden rollers for scrolls?

"Healthy Stealthy ;" wrote:

Buy a lathe and learn to turn.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Two ways I can think of right off.
First way would be to turn them on a lathe. If you don't have one or wish to purchase one, see the second method...
Second way would be to obtain some closet pole material (it's like a large diameter dowel), some rosettes, and a couple of pegs for each wooden roll you want to make. Rosettes and pegs (handles) are available at most catalog woodworker supply stores, or you can make your own with a "rosette cutter" which goes in your drill press. Cut closet pole to length, drill a hole in the center of the rosette and closet pole for the tenon of the peg to go through the rosette and into the closet pole/dowel. Glue and finish... If the pegs don't have long enough tenons, you could drill the tenon with a smaller bit like 1/4 inch, drill the rosette for the peg tenon diameter, and drill the closet pole/dowel for the smaller diameter holes and use a 1/4 inch dowel to allow gluing it all together nice and straight...
Make sure any stain or finish you use is cured before you get it near a scroll, or oil will leach onto the scroll paper... If it were me, I'd probably stain and then finish with either lacquer or shellac...
--Rick