Re: Home Depot screws me again

Page 2 of 2
"DGDevin" wrote

That was me. I used to do a fair amount of metal work years ago. I would frequent salvage yard because I could often find some (cheap) welded peices that could be easily converted to what I want to build. And the odd shaped remmant that could be used as well.
The only thing was, I never knew how thick these peices were. Some projects this mattered a lot. On others, it was not important. I started carrying the calipers with me. I could quickly determine if I could recycle a castoff from another place. And I have had the calipers with me ever since. They have been useful many times.
DGDevin wrote:

<slaps my forehead>
See, that's why I love you guys! (Thanks Lee) I too have a couple of extra cheapie calipers that I never use because my good Lee Valley dial calipers are always handy, so what better place to store one of the extras than in the glove box of my truck? And considering how often I use my calipers around the shop I probably ought to buy a couple more cheapies and stash them in the glove box of ALL my vehicles. Trouble is, they'd probably go to the same place as the all the maps of the states I frequent that I've *also* stashed in those glove boxes. Kinda like socks in the dryer, something* is _eating_ those bastards. I'll bet I've bought 27 maps of Texas, but do you think there'll be one in the glove box when I need it?
* I know who it is, but she'll never admit it.

I wonder if there's calipers out there that are made out of thin (like credit card thickness) plastic. Most of the time I'm measuring something with my calipers, I don't need the 3-digit precision. I just need to get around or into a tight space.
Something that would fit in a wallet would be great for those quick "how thick is this?" queries.
Puckdropper
On 2009-09-06, Puckdropper <puckdropper> wrote:

This just one offering from Central Tool, a great company. These short metal slide calipers come from different makers in both steel and brass. I have both. Pocket sized, bullet proof, and some graduated as fine as 1/64" (~0.015"). I carry these instead of a more expensive machinest calipers, which I lost my very first vernier 6 incher in Lowe's when I put it down for a minute, and turned my head (DOH!).
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
nb