Re: Home Depot screws me again

Alas, that's normal. Unless you get 'shoulder bolts', the shank diameter is not the controlled 3/8" you want, because the threads weren't cut on a 3/8" blank, they were raised (rolled, it's called) on a subsize blank. You can build up the shank with welding, I suppose, or just roll a bit of sheet metal around the shank. Or scrounge in decades-old assortments of fasteners for an archaic example of what-you-expected.
Some high-strength fasteners will have the full shaft diameter, perhaps, because not all alloys are roll-able.
Shop with calipers.
*snip*

If you decide to take them back (don't waste a trip on $1 worth of parts), make sure the person handling the return knows your reason. Then make a trip to the local Ace hardware and get what you really need.
If enough people complain, they'll go back to the old way of doing things.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Here in Fair Lawn, I go to Goodman's, a True Value hardware store. Walking distance, great people and selections, and help! what else do you want.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

We do have a small home-town Ace Hardware store that's about the same distance as the new Home Depot. They open at 11:00 this morning and I'll be waiting on their doorstep. I don't know why I only think of going to them *after* I've been screwed by Home Depot, but one of these days I'll learn...
Ace or Tru Value, both have good hardware bins, someone to help you find something, help in designing a project on the spot, and you don't have to walk 3 miles from one end of the store to the other. I always try Ace first before making the dreaded trip to the Borg.

Since I can bike over to Goodman's in about 3 minutes, I often go there first. Also, I like the owner and the workers, and it means supporting a local Mom and Pop store. If they don't have what I want, I go for good wood to Kuiken Brothers, for other stuff to the Home Depot across the Passaic in the 3% sales tax zone of Paterson.
--
Best regards
Han

Keep in mind that HD (and Lowe's) didn't get to be a behemoth by selling top-quality stuff. They got there by selling stuff cheap, and that usually translates to selling cheap stuff.
When it comes to hardware, paint and the like, I prefer to start at the local hardware store. Maybe a tad more expensive than the Borg, but better quality stuff sold by knowlegeable and friendly people that I like doing business with. And I like knowing that my money stays in town, too.
I use HD and the like as a last resort except for brand-name power tools where I must admit they have a far better selection and better prices.
Reply-to address is real John

The problem here, is that the better quality companies are either going out of business altogether, or getting with the program and selling stuff manufactured in China with their name stamped on it so they can compete with the prices of the big boy stores. Paint as much but things are getting consolidated. Our choices are much fewer than they once were, even at the mom and pops.
Ed

When it comes to brand names, they generally are cheaper. Sometimes not, though. OTOH, I don't think there is a real lumber yard within 30 miles of here (just drove past that one and it didn't look like it was open to the public).

No real hardware stores here either. As far as the money staying in town, they don't make screws, or steel for that matter, here either. If there were a decent hardware store in the area I'd go there. I really don't like the BORG or the blue place all that much but they do have some hardware.
When it comes to paint, I go to paint stores. It is a little more expensive at SW, or BM stores but the paint is better and the service/help is *much* better. For painting supplies the home centers are still significantly cheaper.

Yep. HD has really been slipping here recently. I almost never go there for tools anymore.
"John" wrote:

<snip>
As far as the fastener industry is concerned it has all gone off shore years ago.
Rolled thread fasteners are the lowest cost to manufacture so that is what you are going to find in mass merchandise outlets.
Want some thing else, go to a fastener house and buy spec grade. Expect to pay a minimum order charge.
As far as paint is concerned, freight is a major cost item.
Paint, especially the architectural stuff, will come from manufacturing facilities located as close to the end user as practical.
As far as tools are concerned, the big box stores stock the bottom end of the product line.
They play the 80/20 game.
80% of sales come from 20% of items.
Works for the week end warrior, but if you want quality, look elsewhere.
Lew

I'm not sure what you mean by "mass merchandise outlet". Your neighborhood hardware store is almost certainly going to be selling the same rolled fasteners as HD/Lowes.

I don't mean this as a flame or anything but really - how did Home Depot screw you? You presumably went in, looked around, found what you thought you needed/wanted and bought it. Were the bolts mis-labelled? Were you unable to inspect or see the bolts? I suspect that the fact the shoulder was narrower than the thread was relatively apparent to anyone who cared to look. Just 'cause they weren't what you thought they were doesn't mean HD screwed you (you kinda screwed yourself).

And don't even think 3/4 inch ply is 3/4".
Phisherman wrote:

I bought some 3/4" poplar at Hell Depot the other day to make a bookcase; I was surprised it was actually 3/4" just like the sign said.

It probably traveled to the store through a monsoon.

I have found that, almost without exception, that the local ACE Hardware will fill my hardware needs before HD or Lowe's. And usually cheaper. The local owner has even ordered a piece of hardware, to fit my needs, a time or two.
BTW, when I say "local"......we live in a town of 700 in SE Kansas. The closest HD is 30 miles, closest Lowes is 60 miles. Thank goodness there are two ACE Hardware stores within 15 miles. We also have three lumber yards within the 15 to 20 mile range that will outclass and often outprice the big box stores on a consistent basis. However they are a little short on tools and such.
RonB
whit3rd wrote:

I must be living in the past or something, because I just got back from my local Ace hardware and their selection was the same; just as you describe. This boggles my mind because I have all kinds of old carriage bolts around here (unfortunately, none of which fit my needs for this project) and every one that doesn't have full length threads has the "shoulder" shank that you describe. I rarely buy them and don't remember where I got them, but it must have been during a different era...

I'm just going to invent one from a regular hex-head shoulder bolt that I brought home from Ace hardware.

Aye. I also need to carry a little pocket-sized tape measure with me (like my Dad does), but knowing me I'd probably forget the dang thing. I usually have to wander over to the tools section and "borrow" one of their new tape measures, then put it back when I'm done. :-)
Steve Turner wrote:

I just leave a cheap one in the car, only takes a minute to abandon the cart and run to the parking lot if I need it quickly.
--
Froz...

"Steve Turner" wrote

I have a tape mesure and an inexpensive caliper in the glove compartment of all my vehicles. Those calipers have save my ass again and again. I don't leave home without them.
Steve Turner wrote:

I've developed the habit of carrying a little 6' tape in my watch pocket, it's now part of the stuff I always have like my wallet, keys, money-clip etc. Somebody mentioned carrying a cheap caliper in the car--what a great idea, I have at least one of those Harbor Freight digital jobs that cost ten bucks, so in the car it goes.