Re: Hinged + Sliding Drawer DVD Storage Ideas?

Why not cut away one side of the drawer so that you could view them from the side? The drawer would be more like a pull out shelf with a drawer front.

-Jack

I'm currently designing a built-in for my home theater, and was hoping to get > full ues out of the space left over from the A/V equipment on the side of the > unit (approx 10" or so). The thought is to use this as DVD storage space, with > several sliding drawers stacked the height of the unit. That's all well and > good (and straight forward), until you start storing DVDs at a height that is > not easy to peer down into the drawer. Stumbling block #1. > > What I thought would be an ideal solution would be to have the drawers hinged > so that, after they are pulled out their full extent, they could then be > tipped forward n degrees for easier viewing of the contents. > > This sounds great, but for some reason I'm having a brain fart trying to put > idea into practice. I can't for the life of me determine what combination of > drawer slide and hinge set would work, and how it would fit together. The best > analogy I've found would be a flipper door commonly used on TV cabinets, but > rotated horizontally. > > Can anyone help me figure out the best way to approach this??? > > Thanks, > > --Henry > >

____________________________________________________________________________ __________

To reply plz remove the "N00Spam00" and (dot) invalid from my e-mail and > domain names. > Keep spam on bread and outta my inbox!!! > >
Reply to
JackD

Several years ago I built an entertainment system for a customer that would hold about 1,000 CD's. I used 2 drawers that were 24" deep, 60" tall and about 7" wide. Behind the drawer front I built several shelves that allowed the CD's to be viewed from the side of the drawer.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly what I was trying to describe in my explanation. Thanks for pulling the words out of my mouth... :~)

Reply to
Leon

Excellent suggestions! The main reason I didn't take that path to start with was because the unit will be recessed into the wall (taking out 1 stud to give me clearance), and a sofa will be in front of it. I'm doing this so I "hide" the light from the stereo equipment so as it's not annoying when viewing and it also doesn't take up floor/furniture space. The slide-and-tilt system I'm conceiving would allow the user to stand in front of the sofa, pull out a shelf, and lowerit to a viewing angle that is easy to see straight-on.

Does this make more sense, or am I (as usual :-)) trying to make something way too complex here? If I get time I'll CAD up what I'm thinking about and post it so it's clearer.

BTW you other suggestions will be used in another project - I haven't seen a good "deep" CD/DVD storage system that I like and yours sounds like a a perfect fit :-)

Thanks again for your suggestions!!!

--Henry

"Le>> Why not cut away one side of the drawer so that you could view them from >the >> side?

______________________________________________________________________________________ To reply plz remove the "N00Spam00" and (dot) invalid from my e-mail and domain names. Keep spam on bread and outta my inbox!!!

Reply to
Big Al Dexter