Re: Hidden room question

Having used inline wheels for a lot of oddball applications, I think the previous poster had a better idea, that of using skateboard wheels.

First, the skateboard wheels are wider and will spread the pressure across a wider area than an inline wheel. Second, the skateboard wheels are usually made of a harder plastic material to begin with, and will not deform as much. Using even the harder of the available inline wheels, they will flat spot very quickly when supporting a static load. Trying to get them to roll after an extended period of time in a static position will be a real chore. If you aren't going to use some sort of major hinge or bearing (vertical) and are looking to support from the bottom using some sort of rollers, you want the hardest material you can get, so you won't get flat spotting when the "door" is just sitting there. I'd suggest as a minimum, the use of the skateboard wheels the previous poster mentioned, however, I might tend to use a steel wheel or roller, against an inlet steel plate on the bottom of the "door" object. Of course, this won't be the quietest operating item, but at least it would move nicely.

-_Rick

Subw00er wrote:

I was thinking inline skate wheels - nice bearings in there and they are > durable. > Would have to use a bunch of em, but they are not too expensive. > > > How about roller skate wheels or the ones that are used on > > skateboards. They will take a beating. Heavy duty non swivel casters > > might be the way to go. > > > > > > > A customer of mine is building a new house. He wants to build a > > > hidden room with access being via a sliding bookcase. (I guess he > > > watches a lot of old movies) Bookcase will be four feet wide & about > > > seven feet tall & will slide into a pocket. Does anyone have any > > > idea what I could use for rollers? Also he want's this to operate > > > electrically. So I need some type of motor to make it open & close. > > > I would appreciate any input on this project. Thanks, Ron
Reply to
Rick Frazier