Re: Help with laminating stock

Here's a couple of photos of a gunsmith's operation that makes custom laminated rifle stocks. This photo is of his laminating press:
http://www.westcustomrifles.com/P3290285.jpg
This next webpage is the overall layout of his shop and the machines he uses in his operation:
http://www.westcustomrifles.com/photogallery.htm
The best stocks are found on this webpage:
He does beautiful work, but it's expensive.
On 14 Feb 2006 21:38:58 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Add pictures here
✖
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 6:39pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@fig.com (Sam) Here's a couple of photos of a gunsmith's operation that makes custom laminated rifle stocks. This photo is of his laminating press:
http://www.westcustomrifles.com/P3290285.jpg <snip>
From that picture, I can't figure out how that laminating press works - unless it's got hydraulic pistons, or something, in those end columns. Damn ugly color scheme too.
I didn't see any stocks that I could say were laminated. Seems to be decent work, but the stock colors suck.
✖
Sorry, I left off the url to the page with links to the stocks.
http://www.westcustomrifles.com/customriflestocks.htm
Just click on one of the links.
This wegpage with a walnut-cherry gunstock got me started making my own laminated stocks. If you look close at the walnut stock on the top of the page you can see the glue line and the grain change in this stock too.
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek011.html
The walnut & cherry laminated stock is about 1/2 way down the page. It was made by Richard Franklin who sold his stockmaking business to West Custom Rifles. Laminated stocks for target rifles are much more stable than solid wood stocks and they also have a big advantage over fiberglass stocks because wood is a better vibration damper.
The laminating press is a big steel i-beam box with a floating beam that's attached with big springs to counter the weight. It's clamping action is from 2 20-ton hydrolic presses that aren't installed in the picture. (I had to go back and take another look to see why it wasn't clear)
My next project is to build a press like this one. I'm scrounging for steel beams now. The stock I wanted was priced at $600 for an unfinished stock and $900+ for a finished one. I've invested about the same amount in tools and hardware to build 10 stocks for my varmint and target rifles as I would have paid to buy 10 finished stocks and now I have a shop full of equipment including a 5-axis routing duplicator from Dakota Arms (bought from a retireing gunsmith) . It took 3 months to learn to use the equipment and my 3rd stock was usable. I've made about 15 stocks now and everyone I sell is advertizing for the next customer.
http://www.dakotaarms.com/quikstore.html http://tinyurl.com/3atf4v
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 02:16:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Mon, Oct 8, 2007, 9:07am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@fig.com (Sam) doth sayeth: 'Sorry, I left off the url to the page with links to the stocks. <snip>Laminated stocks for target rifles are much more stable than solid wood stocks <snip> The laminating press is a big steel i-beam box with a floating beam that's attached with big springs to counter the weight. It's clamping action is from 2 20-ton hydrolic presses that aren't installed in the picture. <snip>(I had to go back and take another look to see why it wasn't clear)   My next project is to build a press like this one. I'm scrounging for steel beams now. <snip>
I looked at the stocks. Still not to my taste. And, I know about laminated stocks.
WTF, a beam so heavy it stretches the springs? That's what threw me. Normally the springs raise the beam, when the jacks, or whatever, release pressure. On that, looks like you'd have to lift it to even put the wood in. Looks way overbuilt too. Me, maybe 4"X4" tubing tops (probably open frame), one or two small bottle jacks. Here's a 6-ton press. http://mthobby.pcperfect.com/ch601/press.htm If I was gonna make a press for frequent use, I'd seriously consider screws, instead of hydraulic.
✖