RE: Harbor Freight Drill

Page 1 of 2
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a cleaning application.
Any comments on this drill?
http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn
Lew
On 5/13/2014 1:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The price should not scare you off. Aside from that the body appears to be a knock off of the Makita drill. If you are holding it it should feel comfortable assuming there are no sharp edges.
http://www.grainger.com/product/14G994?gclid=CLH1jaTJqb4CFeMF7AodcA0A6Q&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Power%20Tools-_-Power%20Drills-_-14G994&ci_src588969&ci_skuG994&ef_id=U1vr2wAABSWoFuL7:20140513185331:s

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?
I have known a number of people who use the Harbor Freight angle grinders for all kinds of cleaning tasks. A variety of wire brushes are available for the angle grinders.
And the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for many things. I use mine for various jobs. You can even use it to cut metal.
Just an idea. It is cheap and it has done a good job for many people. I have other brands, but I paid a lot more for them. I have purchased harbor freight tools to give to relatives to keep them from using my tools.
On 5/13/2014 2:07 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Now there is where you screwed up. You should keep the Harbor Freight tools to lend out. You don't want to give the tool away. ;~)
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

I was just thinking along the same lines. I've got four angle grinders hanging on the wall. One of them is a Harbor Fright with a wire brush mounted on it.
On 5/13/2014 2:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You know if you have a coupon for the 4.5 angle grinder 9.99 you can get the 4" knotted wire wheel 4.99 and total cost would be less than that drill. Also you will take off more rust quickly.
http://www.harborfreight.com/knotted-wire-wheel-60488.html
Do not get the 4.5 wire wheels, only the 4" with a 4.5 Inch angle grinder. you want the guard in place, and with the 4.5 you won't fit it. Trust me you don't want the wire wheel w/o a guard... it's a knuckle remover.
--
Jeff

For paint removal, I found that the Angle Grinder with a paint remover wheel works best. http://tinyurl.com/krzlgbh looks similar to what I used.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
Thanks! You just reminded me that I need to pick up a cheap circular saw at HF. I've got a bunch of landscaping blocks that I need to cut and I can't see subjecting my good PC left blade to all that dust.
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:48:10 PM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Mea Culpa.
It's actually a nylon brush like this.
http://tinyurl.com/mlf4t34
Want to clean the burned crud off a porcelain coated BBQ grill when it is cold.
Lew

On 5/13/2014 4:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

OK, this is no just a California warning thing.
Be VERY CAREFUL when doing that. Wear a mask, maybe a respirator while doing so. Swingman can fill you in on the details after doing the same with his grill.
On 5/13/2014 4:28 PM, Leon wrote:

Mother of all lung infections, caused by bacteria in the dust from cleaning out a BBQ pit. Damned near did me in, so be extra careful and wear some type of breathing protection.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:17:16 PM UTC-7, Lew Hodgett wrote:
[about a HF drill for cleaning]

My first impression: a drill will overheat if you run it for ten or twenty minutes (they work fine for drill/rest/drill/rest applications). So, an air tool would be preferable (if you have a compressor).
On a porcelain surface, use oven cleaner (lye) and get it hot. Wash with a hose. Repeat.
For extra fun, chain down the grill and use a pressure washer.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Personally I would prefer a Jacobs chuck for a wire wheel instead of a keyless chuck.
--
 GW Ross

 We are born naked, wet and hungry.
On 5/13/2014 5:02 PM, G. Ross wrote:

You know a couple of my drills had Jacobs keyless chucks. ;~)
Leon wrote:

I'm speechless.
--
 GW Ross

 We are born naked, wet and hungry.
On 5/13/2014 6:50 PM, G. Ross wrote:

LOL!

My question is if you are going to clean the crud off while it is in place on the grill, do you want to be cooking with pieces of nylon bristles cooking off and out gassing after they break off the brush and fall down into the grill to be heated up later, melted, caught fire, and cooked into your food.
Really?
Does not sound like a good plan to me. Sick with wire brush, of brass or stainless.
--
Jim in NC

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- "Morgans" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- Good question, but won't be a problem.
Grate will be removed for cleaning and then returned.
The porcelain coating will get washed before returning to grill.
Lew
problem.

Good.
'I cringe at some of the things I see people do with chemicals and such. Besides that, I'm pretty sure burning nylon is a known carcinogen in the state of California! :-)
--
Jim in NC

Sometimes I wonder if live cancer cells for research have the "may cause cancer" warning stickers on them...
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.