Re: Grizzly Table Saw Recommendations

I'll second that.. After setting up my G0444Z and getting the motor pulley to line up with the arbor pulley, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the arbor was parallel to the miter slots and the 90 and 45 stops were already set perfectly. All I had to do was knock some casting remnants from the miter guage. Hell, even the fence was REALLY close to not needing adjustment right out if the box, but I guess no two people put a TS together exactly the same. Save the extra couple hundred bucks that you would spend on a cabinet saw and buy a WWII and the materials to wire in the 220V outlet in your shop.
~Rob
<OP snipped>

Hey Rob,
Did you have a lot of trouble getting the pulleys aligned? To me it seemed like there's not enough range of movement in the motor adjustments to allow mine to line up (using a straightedge against the pulleys as directed in the manual). It's possible that the problem is with my measurements and not the saw. I got it as close as I could and it works fine, but I have that nagging thought that it's not quite right.
That said, I add my high praise to this saw.
I'll third that.
I had to shim the splitter to get it aligned, but it cuts beautifully. I'm getting silky smooth cuts (no sanding required)on Spanish Cedar using a relatively inexpensive 60 tooth DeWalt combo blade. I'd spring for a better blade, but there's just no need.
To the OP: It's right in your price range and you'll have enough left over for a nice blade. Sure if you can swing it, it would be nice to get the G1023 cabinet saw, but it's going to be almost $400 over your budget after shipping.
I posted a lot of detail a while back about my "out of box" experience. Google "New Grizzly G0444Z TS" on the rec if you're interested.
Tom