Re: Grizzly DC G1029Z w/ 0.3 micron filter

I've had mine a couple years now (maybe 3). Does what it's supposed to. I don't find it that loud, meaning I would wear ear protection always if it were the only think on. However, there's usually another tool making loads of noise so I normally have them on.

I find the cyclone separator works well - not worth what they'd charge you - but as a freebie it's good deal. I figure I get around 10 trash cans full before I need to empty the bag. Course depends what you do. You could run a planer all day and never need to empty the bag. Lots of sawing/sanding and more carries over.

I bought replacement bags from Penn State (maybe 1 micron, can't recall). Definitely replace the stock bags with something, they're like 30 microns and will cover everything with dust. The felt bags I have there is almost no dust. If I did it again, or if the felt bags ever wear out, I'll probably go with the cannister filter and plastic bag item that's now available. The cannister, at around $200 though, is pretty pricey. But I like the convenience and the much greater surface area.

I've had great luck with Grizzly tools, and the 1029Z is one of them.

Reply to
Tom Bergman

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:56:24 GMT, "GR" brought forth from the murky depths:

I have the G1029 (with the 30 micron bags) and it works very well. The 0.3 micron bag arrived by UPS this afternoon but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. It's a very dense felt. It came with the cyclone top and I put it on a galv trashcan. The combo does very well.

they offered that combo when I ordered I would have bought it. I'm very happy since it keeps me from having to sweep nearly as often. Now that I'm out in the shop more, it really pays off.

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought a 1029 about a year ago and ordered 2 of the 0.3 micron bags with it. I can say that for my small shop it works great. I finally got another

4" hose to hook to my planer and hardly a single chip doesn't get sucked up by the collector. As far as the noise goes, I don't think it's too bad - especially not compared to the ridgid shop vac that I was using before.

The 0.3 bags do a great job of trapping the fine dust, at least as far as I can tell. Obviously it's hard to tell if the microscopic stuff makes it through, but I know that the amount of dust that accumulates in the shop is dramatically less that it was before.

As for the trash can separator that comes with it, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with it - although it was free so I can't complain too much. It's pretty flimsy and to be honest I've never even used it - so it might work ok. I made my own separator for the big chunks.

All in all I'm very happy with it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Grizzly offers a cannister unit model G0548 for $450.

on your experience with the G1029 and you comment about the cannister filter, do you believe the $250 differrence would be worth it?

Thanks,

Reply to
GR

Eric,

Thanks for your feedback. Any comment on the durability of the 0.3 bag? You indicated that you ordered two and was just curious or do you use the 0.3 bag on top and bottom?

Can I ask how you made your separator?

Thanks,

Gerry

Reply to
GR

Linux_lad,

Thanks for your feedback. I was wondering if you could share details regarding your homemade swivel?

Thanks again,

Gerry

Replacement

Reply to
GR

I ordered two too - thinking you needed both. Evidently, you typically just replace the top one. The bottom one, over time, saturates itself with saw dust and kind'a anneals itself. I have the 0.3 felt one on just the top. I have the G8027, which seems to take a different sized bag than the 1029.

Otherwise I'd have sold ya' the G5557 0.3 micron top bag for 1/2 price...

Reply to
mttt