Re: Grain orientation on trestle foot

I made one of those tables at a woodworking school. The instructor strongly suggested making the base from 2 halves with the grain running along the lenght of each half thereby the grain appearing to run diagonally when the table is finished. The original plan had the leg grain running horz. The deep mortise runs all the way through the curved leg base. If you wish I can send you a photo. I Like your grain running vertically though. Perhaps it depends on the wood type you choose. Mine was made from cherry.

[posted and mailed]
Bri spaketh...

I am winging it, based on the little information in the book. The picture in the book appears to have the grain running horizontally, but it is difficult to be sure.

Yes, that would be great.

Did you cut the mortise before glue up or chop it after?

Walnut. Diagonal would be better than vertical, I am afraid the vertical grain would not be strong enough in compression over the arch, but it would probably look better and simplify the mortise.
--
McQualude