Re: good -- and trustworthy -- online source of curly hard maple?

It's mighty discouraging sometimes to live in CA when most of the best

>and most interesting woods have to be trucked in at great expense from >elsewhere.
Reply to
Bob Bowles

Bob Bowles

Bob -- many thanks. Any recollection of the quality/cost/customer service associated with their shipping? They truck their own large orders, according to their website.

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

Abe, I thought you were that Abe that is involved in SAW(Sacramento Area Woodworkers) and that you would aware Of Hughes Hardwood, Higgins Hardwoods, & Gallery Hargwoods that are all in Sacramento Phone Directory. I guess there are two Abes in Sacramento. Who would guess.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Todd

Heh. You're right -- there must be two of us... I've visited Higgins and talked to the people in their office. They didn't *appear* to do a great deal of business in figured wood, though they had a few boards of birdseye maple on hand. Acres of plain hardwoods, of course. I didn't consider them as a possible source for this project because I need more than a few boards (of curly maple). Did I miss something? Is there somebody on their staff who specializes in figured wood?

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

Abe, Gallery deals in figured hardwood. Call before you drive over there.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Todd

Advantage Lumber is a few block away from my home. Rob has purchased his own trucks and is doing his own shipping across the U. S. on large orders. Small orders are shipped via UPS. IIRC, Rob told me he is now the second largest shipper in Western New York.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Jack -- you like them? At some point I'm going to have to risk some $$ with somebody. Any insight appreciated.

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

I started dealing with Advantage about six years ago. Advantage has a large inventory, a good selection, and as a walk in customer I'm allowed to pick and choose. Their pricing is decent. I sometimes feel bad when the workers have to get a forklift to move their stock around so I can make my selection, but no one minds. Rob Pelc, the owner, has told me that if I need something when the shop is closed to call him at home. He said he didn't care if it was 10 PM on a Sunday, he'd come down and open the office. I've never taken Rob up on this offer, but with this type of willingness for service, I've become a dedicated customer.

If you should order from Advantage, tell them what you intend to build. I've seen the employees sorting through the lumber piles, hand selecting the stock to fill an order with a particular need.

About the only problem I have when I go to Advantage, is I always end up talking "woodworking" with a bunch of the guys and blowing a good part of the day.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Jack -- many thanks. Your experience is comforting indeed.

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe