Re: gone longer than I thought...

Page 3 of 4
snip

Hell, I'm game. Seems like we could put up a 20x20 shed in a weekend, if the slab were formed on Fri afternoon. Sat morning, pour slab, prefab walls. Sat afternoon, get under roof. Sun morn, finish framing and roofing. Sun afternoon, start electric. We can at least get the wires pulled. Nailing up new work boxes and installing outlets and switches is no big deal, right?
I realize, of course, that that schedule is not for a pair of buddies who pop the first beer at 9 a.m. But with 6-8-10 hard-chargers, that shouldn't pose a problem, especially with a 20x20. Drywall and insulation can get done whenever.
Silvan, you just let me know when and where to show up.
How far is Virginia Tech from Cleveland, anyway?
-Phil Crow
Phil Crow asks:

How far is Cleveland from Parkersburg, WV? P'burg is just about 3-1/2 hours to Blacksburg.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
On 19 Apr 2004 17:48:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) wrote:

How about CT? I was in Norfolk about 8 weeks ago. How far from Norfolk? All I need is a place for my 8' square tent, a shower, and a bathroom.
I can also see 15 'wreck boys and girls arguing on the right way to cut the joint and which CMS is within .000001 of square. <G>
Barry

Nothing to argue. It is either square of it is not. .000001 out is NOT ;) Ed
B a r r y wrote:

I think we should agree (ahead of time) that the construction effort should be limited to the shop building itself - and specifically exclude planters of any kind (especially planters with more than four sides :-)
Might speed things up if we have a couple of compressors with multi-coupling manifolds. A nail gun per wall could speed things up considerably...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Mon, Apr 19, 2004, 5:48pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (PhilCrow) asks: <snip> How far is Virginia Tech from Cleveland, anyway? Don't I have to get shots, a travel visa, or something, to go to Virginia?
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
JOAT asks:

Tarheels just have to leave hostages.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 2:24pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (CharlieSelf) claims: Tarheels just have to leave hostages.
Is that to get in, or out, of Virginia?
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

To make sure they go back. :-)

J T wrote:

You're thinking of Pennslvania.
jo4hn wrote:

Yeah, if only. :)
Free labor is only half the battle. Just the slab alone is more than I really want to even think about. Readymix is hella expensive, but Quickrete is hella expensive. I looked at doing a little 8' x 8' slab to go under my plastic junk shed, and it was going to cost around $200 IIRC. Scale that up to 400 sq. ft. and it looks like about $1200 for the concrete and fixins alone. Ugh.
My budget is about $7.50. I don't think this is gonna fly anytime soon, unless one of you Wreckers has figured out how to crap concrete? :)

you don't buy this much by the bag, but by the cubic yard mixed in a big truck. it's a LOT cheaper that way. you just have to have the manpower (personpower?) available to hump it where it needs to go as a pumper truck is a bunch of money.
Silvan wrote:

Can you make friends with a local cement company? Lots of times there's a little left in the truck when the customer's forms are filled. It may take awhile at a half yard a throw but the price is right. ;-)
-- Mark
-snip-

I think (hope?) your scale factor was too high. IIRC, the cost of the last readymix I bought (about 2 yards) was mostly delivery charges. That portion that was per yard concrete cost would scale, but the delivery charge should be constant and shouldn't scale with the size of the slab. Very rough and dirty estimating on my part, but 400 sq ft would equate to approximately 5 yds of concrete which should run somewhere in the $500 - $600 range delivered. Of course your local costs could be wildly different from what we see here.
This subject sparks my interest because I am fairly early in the planning stages of a combination equipment shed, storage building, woodshop enlargement that will total about 1200 sq ft with about 150 feet of footings and foundation wall. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 yds of concrete. At your $200/yd figure, I'd be looking at about $7K just for the concrete. I don't have quotes yet, but that's a lot more than I'm expecting..
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

Hey, I hope I'm wrong too. :) You're almost certainly right about how I was being too simplistic in scaling it up that way.
I know it works that way with gravel. $75 for one ton, or $100 for 10 tons.
Silvan writes:

Not so's I've ever seen, but $200 a yard is way high. I haven't checked in 3 years, but in the Bedford area, it was around 60-65 bucks a yard then, IIRC. You'd probably be stuck with a delivery charge on 2-3 yards, but over that, maybe not, so that should serve as "scaling."
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
Charlie Self wrote:

Part of my $200 figure was because they have to send a truck with an extra-long snoot and it's just generally going to be an above average PITA for them compared to a typical job. I'm pushing the limits of what they can do.
Though actually, I saw my neighbor have a dump truck run right down his yard and to his out-building area to dump a load of gravel. He pulls off his carport, drives around behind his house and then through the front yard to get back out. He doesn't give a crap about landscaping. He might let me just have the damn truck drive down his yard and get 15' away from the site with no obstructions to speak of. Especially if I throw in some of whatever hooch he favors.
Oh well. I'm only daydreaming anyway. It ain't gonna happen this year, or the next. Maybe never. Big things have a way of turning into a carrot on the end of a stick. Usually that's because if it takes long enough to get there, I finally come to my damn senses and make do with something more practical.
Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 1:48pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: <snip> Scale that up to 400 sq. ft. and it looks like about $1200 forthe concrete and fixins alone. Ugh.<snip>
Awhile back I a got quote for pouring a slab about 20X30', for a mtetal garage. This was when I had not chance of coming up with the bucks for quite awhile. $600 for just the concrete alone. My kids said they'd do all the work, forms in, work the concrete, etc. Yeah, right, I can count on that. I beleive in Clinkerbell too.
But, got a quote from a guy that would do all the forms, etc., including concrete (ordered ready mixed), for $1500. A higher bid was about $1800. I may even be able to afford it soon. Then only need to figure out how to put the building up. The kids promised to do that. Hahaha
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
Swingman wrote:

I went out there about last July, and pretty much spent all daylight free time out there all through the fall and winter. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure myself out though. I was out there freezing my butt off. Now that the weather is more agreeable, I'm in the house playing on the computer. That's bassackwards for sure.
I'm weird. I guess that's no great revelation to anyone here though, is it? LOL!

I'm still a pathetic hack though, I'm afraid. I started playing flute in middle school band, way back when. I got my first guitar shortly after I got my first job. I was playing around with sequencing MIDI from sheet music back then, and I asked for the piano version of "The Wall" songbook. Mom got me the tab edition. So I had to buy a guitar to see if I could figure out how to play the tab. (I still have that thing too, and I play it every night. Best $130 I've *ever* spent. :)
I never have. I can play "Is There Anybody Out There?" badly, but I always screw it up. It's the only song in the whole book I even try to play. I'm no David Gilmour.
Oh well. I have fun. My fingers are too clumsy and my breath too short to be especially good at playing anything, but at least I can feel the groove and get into the music and lose myself. You don't have to be a shredder or a virtuoso to enjoy playing music.
In fact, with my clumsy fingers and generally plain level of technique, I think I'd make a *perfect* bass player. <G, D & R>

I have "Wish You Were Here" in the CD player out there at the moment. Good hand planing music. :)