Re: Gloat and a question

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:32:40 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"

European hinges come to mind as well- it would be pretty spiffy to have a small bit and a forsner bit chucked in if you're making a number of doors.
Would have to be a very small forstner bit or extremely soft wood. This is a flee power machine.

Flee power? Musta been a typo. Anyhow, I've never seen one of these things, but it looks like a big hunk of machinery- are they really that big, and then underpowered?

You have to get yourself out of the woodworking machinery mode where they put relatively big motors on weenie little machines. Metalworking equipment is quite the opposite. Large, heavy castings for ridgity, not overpowered. This thing is meant to take a quarter inch chuck. In metal working terms, that means quarter inch drill, maximum. The Burgmasters are generally seen drilling and tapping 10-32 holes, reaming eighth inch holes, ect. No, they don't have much power. Quarter horse, possibly half but I doubt it. As for weight, I picked one up and carried it across the shop about a year ago (without stand). Figure maybe 160 pounds. Hefty little guy.

Yah, it's a third horse, and weighs at least 160, possibly more. Getting it outta the trunk by myself was an adventure. :)