Re: Garage Floor Cover

i am a firm believer in 'centerline yellow' on the garage floor. yes, the stuff they paint the center lines on the highway with. its bright, dropped items show up easy, can take years of abuse, can be bought fairly cheaply, and its just plain cool.

randy

I have a two-car garage (10' X 20') that is my workshop and the home of our > two compact cars (that get moved out every time I woodwork). I had been > looking at applying the Rustoleum EpoxyShield garage floor coating this > summer, liking the price (about $100 to do the whole floor). However, a > recent email from Rockler spawned a search in which I found the following > "garage floor cover" product: > >
> It's definitely more expensive (around $300), but it has several advantages > over the epoxy coating that I can think of... > > * much easier and quicker to apply (and then use...no waiting time) > * easier to clean (can hose and scrub down as needed, directing the water > through the channels to the outside) > * probably much less slippery > > One possible disadvantage is that the ribbed cover (I'm not looking at the > "coin floor cover pattern") would make it a little harder to move my mobile > tool bases on, but probably not much more. > > Does anyone have any experience with this product (or a similar product) and > have any reasons for/against it? > > Thanks, > PJ > >
Reply to
xrongor

PJ,

I just received 2 samples of the coin material in the mail today. I'm not sure how this will hold up to mobile carts, especially if you have smaller casters and heavy equipment.

I'm dealing with a 400 lb cabinet saw (soon to be about 600lbs with the new storage cabinet underneath the extension table), a 1100lb mill, and other miscellaneous machines on wheels. I can't see how this stuff wouldn't buckle and possibly tear. The ribbed stuff is thinner, and would probably make for more difficult going. The company has no return policy, so I'd have to purchase a small chunk for about $100 as a test. I'm not comfortable with that.

On the plus side, it's nice material. If you kept your machines stationary, I'm sure this would be a nice alternative to epoxy paint, which if not properly applied will cost you a whole lot more in the long run.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain