Re: G0555 Riser Block, was: OT - Views on Death (friend died today), now kudos to Griz support

<snip of Grizzly response>
Finally got time to take a look @ my bandsaur, took 3/8" blade that came *with* riser kit off & tried the 3/4" one I bought from Griz when I got the saw. It was definitely longer, mounted on wheels very nicely. Emailed Griz tech support that the problem was the *short* blade, they have sent me an apology for the problem AND are sending me another 3/8" blade gratis to replace it.
I've got to say I'm a satisfied customer!
--
Nahmie
I'm glad the problem finally resolve. By the way, you should try Lee Valley's Viking blades, they're good. I would definitely stay away from Timberwolf saw blades.

WD wrote:

Glen

Me too. I definitely trust LV products, but I've always heard nothing but raves about Timberwolf blades.
--
Nahmie

hmmm, especially since the Viking blades and Timberwolf blades are the same according to Lee Valley?
On 12 Aug 2004 10:20:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net (James Cubby Culbertson) wrote:
Ask Robin Lee, he's here and in a better position to answer the question! :-)
Cheers

Considering that Timberwolf is one of the most recommended blades around, I wonder what axe you are grinding?
Have you had a bad experience with a TW blade? I've used plenty of them and have always found them to be superior to any other blade around that I have tried.
wrote in message news:...

Just b'cuz I find Southfolk's blade unsatisfactory I have an axe to grind? It seem almost everyone here ".....heard nothing but raves about Timberwolf blades, (borrow from Norman D. Crow :-). I bought two of their blades and it was really very bad. Suffolk Machinery reluctantly replaced one blades and told me not to throw it away as they may want it back. The replacement was still the same, now the 3 blades sit on the shelf gathering saw dust!
I bought a Lee Valley's Viking blade plus others stuff. LV blade is very good, in LV's catalogue their Viking blades formally known as Timberwolf. Probably, I will also try Olson blades too. :-).
Cheer. :-)

??? Doesn't the LV catalog (catalogue) characterize them as 'formerly known as Timberwolf'???

The Iturra catalog mentioned that they are not allowed to use a certain name because of trademark issues. Therefore they use a different name in their catalog - Bladerunner.
Is the the Timberwolf blades they are talking about? Whats the story?
They also mentioned that they and FWW disagree about which blade is best. FWW didn't measure durability.
So if depends on your needs. If you have low-volume, high quality needs, Bladerunner is a good blade. If you want a blade to last a long time, which FWW didn't measure, Iturra suggests Pro Master (II or III).
writes:

Interesting, thanks. BTW - that Iturra "catalog" is amazing, isn't it?

blade on my Jet 14" and found in vastly easier to resaw with than the 1/2" Sufflok Saw blade I had. Could be User Error, but that was my experience.

Yup. I even gave it a "review" here a few weeks ago when I got my first copy. Reviewing a free catalog. Crazy, eh?
Several years back in the wreck, we concluded the WoodSlicer is generally better up to 6-8 inches, while the Suffolk pulls ahead as you get wider. It was both easier to cut with and smoother. At that time we also traded samples to compare. In the end, though, I found adjustment and technique to be the most important.
One blade item that hasn't been mentioned is colinearity (?). When you rotate a mounted blade by hand, measure the movement (front to back) in the back of the blade. This seemed to directly correlate to roughness of cut, measuring and checking three otherwise identical blades. However, it didn't appear that any manufacturer had a spec on this. Since blades vary, it's hard to compare different manufactures unless you measure the specific blades to catch those at the edge. GerryG