RE: FrogTape

Page 2 of 2

How are these other tapes about tearing? I've got some plain ol' masking tape (only a few years old at most) that works ok, if I can get the darn stuff off the roll. Sometimes it shears across the tape, running a foot or more before it finally quits. (If I catch it early enough, I can stop it.)
It's 3M masking tape, so it's not supposed to be low quality stuff.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 16 Aug 2012 17:29:53 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Masking tape dries out quickly. The sticky is too sticky, too, and often pulls the paint off.
On 16 Aug 2012 17:29:53 GMT, Puckdropper

It took me 57 years to realize that tape had a shelf life. Old tape will dry out and be hard to get off the roll, shearing in strips, etc. If it's over a year old, I either give it away or throw it away after the second shearing. Fresh tape is much less frustrating.
As thin as all the new tapes are today, they're all hard to get off the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to start, trimming it off before use.
-- All of us want to do well. But if we do not do good, too, then doing well will never be enough. -- Anna Quindlen
On 8/16/2012 11:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Too much information. No one but you is interested in your crap.
On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:00:23 -0700 (PDT), "John H. Gohde"

What the hell is wrong with his suggestion? The problem isn't his information, it's your inane reply.
On 8/17/2012 9:13 AM, Dave wrote:

Gohde's problem is that I once showed him he was mistaken about a health claim, and he now takes every opportunity he can to prove to me that he was not only mistaken, he is a boorish buffoon.
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:07:02 -0700, Larry Jaques

Give it to your worst enemy? ;-)

I don't have any trouble starting the 3M blue tape. I like it, though next time[*] I'm going to try Frog Tape.
[*] Just bought a house with crappy paint with a crappy spray job. I guess I shouldn't have expected any more from the Feds.
On 8/16/2012 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Me too. Old habits die hard. I still use Fine Line tape for the edges and that new-fangled blue tape to mask...
On 8/15/2012 7:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have used the green stuff but still prefer 3m blue which is thicker. I didn't know about the 'rubbing thing' and wouldn't have bought into it if I had. The wife brought the green stuff home (cute frog and all) after I had asked her to pick up some additional blue. I tried a roll out and told her to exchange the remaining rolls please as it seemed cheap thin crap.
When I tape, I use a putty knife and utility knife to make precise cuts in corners and joints. I then run the putty knife over the tape to insure that it adheres. The green stuff tended to ball up (like cheap blue or cheap masking tape) using this technique.
Honestly, when I got the green stuff where I wanted it, the end result was equal to the blue. I just find the better quality blue to be easier and faster to use. Since the prep work takes way more time than spreading paint I'll vote for the blue.
Wishing I could paint a straight line, John