Re: Fixed my Unisaw motor

took
so
The
Too bad you didn't take a few pictures to document your fix. Not that what you've described is difficult to follow, just that some people might be a little bit more courageous in making the attempt if they have some pictures to follow.

Any excuse for a snuggle eh? :)

"Divide and conquer"?
Lee
thanks for sharing your experiences my unisaw started acting up today [right in the middle of a project] .I might do the deed tomorrow. I take it you did not mess with the brushes ,my machine is probably about 30 - 40 years old.....mjh
mike hide wrote:

There should be no brushes in that machine.
You will find brushes in DC machines and so called universal machines rated for AC/DC service.
Universal machines are typically fractional HP and DC machines are normally found in variable speed applications.
Lew
Thanks for the heads up Lew

[right
did

[right
did
Like Lew already noted, no brushes. I have no idea what motors Rockwell/Delta uses over the years (where's the Duke?), but just for the sake of freedom of information, my motor is a 3HP, capacitor start, induction motor, labeled in big letters Rockwell and in small print on the corner Baldor. It weighs about eleventy hunerd pounds. Vintage is about 1985.
In retrospect I'm sure it could be done without removing the motor from the saw. Just take the weight off the belts so you don't bind the shaft. If I knew all it needed was blowing out, that is probably what I would do. Taking it all the way out lets you give the whole thing a good inspection. In particular, check the bearings.