Fixed my Unisaw motor

This comes up here once in a while, so I thought I would share my experience. Yesterday, Unisaw is working fine, then suddenly it will only hummmm and not start. Hmm, checked the breaker, voltage level, low voltage controls, etc. Nope, no joy, must remove motor.

These suckers are heavy and not easy to get close up and personal with.

Anyway, got it out on the floor. Tried it again, no spinnie, just hmmmmm.

So I take the bugger apart. Disconnect the wiring from the saw and get it up on a bench. Damn, how can so much dust get inside what appears to be a well sealed motor? What part of T-otally E-nclosed F-an C-ooled don't they understand? The junction box and the capacitor housings were completely full of fine dust.

The secret fix is inside the bell end of the motor. Took the bell off, took the fan off the shaft, take the tie rods out of the motor, mark the ends so we can get the alignment back correctly, then knocked the end cap off. The centrifugal switch area was completely filled with dust. Clearly the part that slides on the shaft was being held away from the switch contacts and holding the start capacitor connection open.

Blow that area and the whole motor out with compressed air. It looked like an Iraqi sand storm in my shop. Put it back together in reverse order and it works perfectly. Very straightforward to do, and any woodworker should be able to handle it.

Check the V-belts while you got it out. Easy to change them now if needed. Lifting the motor back in place is the hardest part of the whole job. Hang the motor with the sheave on the belts, then get SWMBO to push the pin in place while you hold the motor. You will enjoy this part cause you will need to snuggle up real close to get both of your bodies close enough.

This is the kind of thing that will always happen in the middle of a big project, but don't panic, if you are lucky it will be something this simple to fix.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Too bad you didn't take a few pictures to document your fix. Not that what you've described is difficult to follow, just that some people might be a little bit more courageous in making the attempt if they have some pictures to follow.

Any excuse for a snuggle eh? :)

Reply to
Upscale

"Divide and conquer"?

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

thanks for sharing your experiences my unisaw started acting up today [right in the middle of a project] .I might do the deed tomorrow. I take it you did not mess with the brushes ,my machine is probably about 30 - 40 years old.....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

There should be no brushes in that machine.

You will find brushes in DC machines and so called universal machines rated for AC/DC service.

Universal machines are typically fractional HP and DC machines are normally found in variable speed applications.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
mike hide

Like Lew already noted, no brushes. I have no idea what motors Rockwell/Delta uses over the years (where's the Duke?), but just for the sake of freedom of information, my motor is a 3HP, capacitor start, induction motor, labeled in big letters Rockwell and in small print on the corner Baldor. It weighs about eleventy hunerd pounds. Vintage is about

1985.

In retrospect I'm sure it could be done without removing the motor from the saw. Just take the weight off the belts so you don't bind the shaft. If I knew all it needed was blowing out, that is probably what I would do. Taking it all the way out lets you give the whole thing a good inspection. In particular, check the bearings.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood