Re: Finishing the finish?

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:23:06 -0500, the infamous Steve Turner scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote: >> Amen, bruddahs! Waterlox rocks. > >You know, in the drumming newsgroup that -MIKE- and I follow, there is a >long standing joke about where to find a low-cost source of "Moongel", a >gooey substance that makes an excellent head-dampening material, but >carries such ridiculously high price that nobody wants to pay for it. >I've wanted to try Waterlox for years, but every time I go to procure >some I find myself refusing to pay the outrageous price they ask for the >stuff So... > >Does anybody know of a low-cost source for Waterlox?

My best source, an old Wreck follower, Russ Ramirez of

now defunct. He bootlegged it into California for me. It was illegal there at the time, prolly still is.

Holy Shit, Maynard! Prices have skyrocketed since I bought my gallon of Original/Satin Waterlox. It's now $30 a quart, but a quart will finish a helluva lot of wood, believe me. I think my gallon was $41. Just keep the air off it's surface in the can or it'll skin and gel on your in a heartbeat.

Woodcraft and Highland Hardware $27, Killian Hardware $26, but regular varnish is now $15 a pint, so it's not so different, eh? Any decent oil finish is skyrocketing because of the bloody ecoterrorists who scream "VOCs Kill!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought some shellacky from him; sorry to see he's out of bidness.

No kiddin' Vern! I'd wrestle a muddy pig to get a gallon of that stuff for $41. Woodcrappers wants around a hunnerd bucks for it, but I think you're right; a quart would probably last me a long time. Still, THIRTY BUCKS A QUART? Holy Schnikes...

Rodger.

Bastages!

Reply to
Steve Turner