re finishing kitchen cabinets

I have an oka kitchen with arched style doors. We hate the arches but don't have the money to replace all our cabinets. I am thinking of 2 options here to change the look.

  1. routing off the arches to make it look like a shaker cabinet

  1. laminate the door, but the problem is I have no idea if you can laminate aroundthe corners without special tools

any comments would be appretiated

thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy W

Andy W wrote in news:Xns95A169094A8CCandyandycom@24.71.223.159:

  1. Paint
Reply to
patriarch

patriarch wrote in news:Xns95A18A721417Cgmadsencomcastnet@204.127.204.17:

unfortunatly thats not an option

Reply to
Andy W

I assume that you have flat panels. That said, you can route off the stile arch, but you will probably need to route all the other sides as well if you want them to match. You can trim out the panels with small cove molding.

Trying to match the color/stain is a BIG problem - it will never match exactly - even if the wood is clear coated ("can of worms" warning).

Personally, arched doors on uppers look pretty nice to me.

When you say "we" hate the arches, be sure you mean it.

I think that your second option is even more work if you want it to look right - and it may not anyhow.

You could make your own doors - this is probably easier than you think if you are willing to make a small investment in some tools.

Lou

Reply to
loutent