Re: Fence & Dust Collection on my gracefully aging 9 inch Craftsman TS

enough dust manage to stay in between the teeth that it doesn't come

> out until blade has got around to the upswing? Or does it deflect off > something else first and end up there? I can't figure it out. > > I'm open to ideas, and thanks for reading all this. > > > -Leuf

Your saw is missing one important thing that helps keep the sawdust from spewing out the front at you.

This is going to be hard to explain, so bear with me. The part in question is about 1/16" thick metal, and about 8" tall and is shaped like a "U", as you look down into the saw, with the insert (shoe) off. It comes very close to the blade, perhaps 1/2". It's purpose is to separate the air (and sawdust) that is circulating with the blade, and split that airflow and deflect it down into the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is at enough angle, most of the big dust will slide into the collector.

The other place to catch a lot of dust is directly over the blade. One of my saws has a place to hook a 2" hose on the top of the blade shield, and a

1/2 tube going down to almost the top of the blade, with the open end towards the oncoming dust rotating with the blade.

Hope that helps.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Leuf,

These people have both wide & narrow fence systems & can probably give you some help. They answered my questions quickly.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

not exactly my saw, but pretty close. Now I just have to justify all the time I waste tapping at that darn fence as being worth $200.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf