Re: Fence & Dust Collection on my gracefully aging 9 inch Craftsman TS

Your saw is missing one important thing that helps keep the sawdust from spewing out the front at you.
This is going to be hard to explain, so bear with me. The part in question is about 1/16" thick metal, and about 8" tall and is shaped like a "U", as you look down into the saw, with the insert (shoe) off. It comes very close to the blade, perhaps 1/2". It's purpose is to separate the air (and sawdust) that is circulating with the blade, and split that airflow and deflect it down into the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is at enough angle, most of the big dust will slide into the collector.
The other place to catch a lot of dust is directly over the blade. One of my saws has a place to hook a 2" hose on the top of the blade shield, and a 1/2 tube going down to almost the top of the blade, with the open end towards the oncoming dust rotating with the blade.
Hope that helps. -- Jim in NC
Leuf,

These people have both wide & narrow fence systems & can probably give you some help. They answered my questions quickly.
http://www.mulecab.com /
HTH.
-- Mark
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:11:05 GMT, Mark Jerde

Ooh, I like it when there's a picture of the thing on my saw ;) Well, not exactly my saw, but pretty close. Now I just have to justify all the time I waste tapping at that darn fence as being worth $200.
-Leuf