re: faceframe question

Thank you for the replies.I should have been more specific. I am using a pocket hole jig and 1-1/2 in. pocket hole screws. The split appears in the stile.

Fine threads ?

wood
The pockethole screws I'm using are fine thread, yes.

Well, two things. First and again, too close to the end of the stile and the screw will probably split any wood. There just plain isn't enough wood to absorb being stretched by the screw.
Second, and assuming a 3/4" face frame I use 1 1/4" screws and only use 1 1/2" screws if I am working with 1/2" stock.
On the Kreg jig the 1/2" spacer block sits the hole higher on the rail so you need the extra 1/4" screw length. It should be the same on any pocket hole jig since the angle of the hole has to be such that the screw enters the stile at it's thicknesses mid point. That means that for a 3/4" face frame the angle pretty much has to be the same no matter who makes the jig.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net