RE: EZ Etoufee-Follow Up

RE: Subject
Tried this recipe tonight.
In true candy ass fashion, used MILD sauce.
BIG MISTAKE.
Fortunately had a bottle of hot sauce available for rescue duty.
BIG DIFFERENCE.
(Next time, use HOT SAUCE Dummy.)
A thought:
Since mushroom bits are included in the soup, might add a 4 OZ can of sliced mushrooms, drained, to the sauce next time.
What do you think Swing?
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote > RE: Subject

LOL! ... Salient points:
"Seasoning" is probably the biggest single appeal to the palate of most "Cajun" dishes. The main obstacle that most folks have in making a Cajun dish that pleases the discerning palate is getting the "seasoning" right.
With this particular recipe, and the *specific* use of "HOT Pace Picante Sauce", that problem is side stepped because NO "seasoning" whatsoever is necessary.
That's the beauty/magic of the recipe as originally posted.
IOW, it is basically a 'shortcut' for making the real thing, and it works for the discerning palate ONLY because of the very specific ingredients.
The recipe has always been viewed with suspicion and incredulity by most "cooks", Cajun or otherwise, (witness the recent "What no roux!?" reaction)... that is, until they actually try it precisely as it was originally presented here.
Any changes, as you discovered, are made at your own risk. :)
There are other "shortcut" recipes for making etoufee, all specifically using "Cream of Mushroom Soup" as a base, that have been around for years that do not contain the specific ingredient that makes this particular recipe work. I'll see if I can dig one up for you out of the archives.
While they might be more amenable to experimentation, absence of the "art of seasoning" may be the downside.

I've actually did that very thing in years past, but went back to the original "shortcut" recipe ... for simplicities sake, and the fact that I'm only one of two in my immediate family that likes mushrooms.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

I am a Fanatical Follower of the Fabulous Fungi.
When they present themselves at my local supplier, a slab of Portobello, sauted ever so lightly in butter.... on a fresh kaiser... better than a burger. A handful of those little white marble-sized ones in my salad...yummy+ Morels if I can find them, and all the others...
Shrooms, some brie and some red wine...who needs food?
"Swingman" wrote:

Shrooms are like sex.
You are still alive without either,
IF
You want to call that living.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

If you want to try the REAL, non-EZ, Etoufee, here how it's made been made by our family around the Eunice/Basile area for years:
2 pounds peeled/deveined shrimp 1 medium chopped onion 1 tbsp tomato paste 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper 1 tbsp chopped parsley 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced 1/2 cup chopped celery 1/2 cup green onion tops fine chop 3/4 to 1 cup water *1/2 + tsp salt *1/4 + tsp cayenne (*salt and cayenne to taste) 1 stick butter (8 Tbsp) 1/2 cup flour
Roux : Melt butter, add in flour stirring, continuously about 8 minutes on medium-high heat 'til light brown/yellow.
Add onions, bell pepper, celery, and saut until clear; add garlic and stir about a minute more; mix tomato paste and water in separate cup, then stir in.
Cook mixture on medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
Mix thoroughly, then add parsley, onion tops and shrimp; stir over heat 3 to 4 minutes more, cut off heat and let stand, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes.
Serve over steamed rice.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thanks, think I'll try it out. I'm not very big on rice, but I'm guessing the rice is just a carrier for the main part of the recipe which is the shrimp.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
"Swingman" wrote:

Will check this one out.
Lew