Re: “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” will be in Buffalo, NY Nov. 7 to Nov. 14, 2009

dpb wrote:

That sounds like the typical family on the show was raised by wolves in the north woods and can just barely dress themselves and eat with utensils. Come on, they've built houses for disabled cops and firefighters and Iraq war veterans, and middle-class families that either had some bad luck or made a choice to take on needy relatives or handicapped kids or whoever at the cost of their own comfort. I'm sure *some* of the folks who've been given mini-mansions on EMHE have found themselves in over their heads (I've read of a few cases), but that hardly applies to them all. No offense, but the phrase "sour grapes" comes to mind when I hear this sort of speculation about how those poor dumb slobs on EMHE almost inevitably couldn't handle having an exceptionally nice house.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:07:23 -0400, the infamous Nova

I was tapped to be the handyman for a salon makeover program last year. I declined once I saw the waiver docs. If they got mad at me on the show, they could totally destroy my business without any recourse. Please be -very- careful what you sign for the goddamned TV companies, Yack.
✖
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:11:24 -0400, the infamous Nova

Sickening, isn't it?

That's most likely the very smartest move you can make.
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
✖
dpb wrote:

I agree, they go way over the top all too often, that's one way in which I feel the show has gone downhill. I assume that's driven by sponsors who want their products featured in the most striking settings possible. But I feel that approach has distorted the nature of the show. I also miss them showing how the houses are built, that is almost an afterthought now. It would be interesting to see what's become of all the new homeowners over the years....
Add pictures here
✖
J. Clarke wrote:

That strikes me as a simplistic explanation for poverty. Some people have the odds against them from the get-go. If you grow up in a broken home in a crime-ridden neighborhood with crappy schools and little in the way of economic opportunity then the deck is stacked against you. That isn't to say some people don't become successful despite being born on the wrong side of town, but the percentage who make it has got to be a lot lower than among people who grew up in safe neighborhoods with good schools etc. IMO welfare should always be accompanied by job training or something like that so people can eventually stand on their own feet. But I sure wouldn't assume that someone who needs welfare is only in that situation because they made bad choices, there might have been no choices to make.
Add pictures here
✖