Re: eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - ooo la la, those legs!

On 10/27/2012 2:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

Router templates for bar stool back legs:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5807765305303561778
Back legs, routed out with the template pattern shown, and ready for marking mortise locations ... along with an extra for Murphy. Front legs can be seen in the stack in the background:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5809252927056371682
On the subject of wooden legs, one of the boards bought for this project had more voids throughout than cheap Chinese plywood:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5807765456152857506
You could not rip or crosscut it at any location where these voids did not show up, face, edge or endgrain.
When I mentioned it at the hardware lumber yard on the next trip to pick up more stock, and showed them this photo, they replaced the $66 board unasked and with no further questions.
They mentioned casehardening, but I don't think so ... I believe it was cut from a tree that was stressed in some manner, leaning or twisting during its growth.
I've cut beaucoup wood and have never seen anything that had more interior voids than Swiss cheese ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010