Re: eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - Final glue-up

Thanks! They didn't look cut, rather bent.

You just answered a dozen questions for me. ...like how to cut the mortises on an angle. A: You don't. ;-)

Pictures of the upholstery process would be appreciated, too. Again, great stuff! Some day...

Reply to
krw

----------------------------------- Is for real.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And those that believe that are actually gullible enough to believe that the earth should not be warming. Since when is global cooling better for food production? Think the farmers care when their crops freeze?

Reply to
Leon

It's not that global warming exists, it's the rate that it's happening and the rate of increase caused by humanity.

Reply to
Dave

I devised that particular jig for cutting mortises in chair back rails for the Multi-Router seven years ago, and it easily allows compound angles for mortises if need be.

Here's another way I do it with a plunge router base:

Swingman

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:58:52 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Well, people like Al Gore notwithstanding, I am of the opinion that man makes a significant contribution to this warming of the earth.

Now, if you want to argue the existence of man makes it inevitable that warming will occur, then there's not much I can offer in rebuttal.

Like the other creatures on this planet, man is simply a creation of nature. However, unlike the other creatures on this planet, we have the realization of what we're doing and quite possibly the knowledge to change what we're doing.

Whether we let our dominant species attitude get in the way of changing our global warming actions or not is something else entirely. Personally, as species, I think we're too arrogant for most of us to make a constructive change in how we treat this planet.

Reply to
Dave

of something you're building. I've got to say, you and Leon seem to be some of the most prodigious carpenters I've ever seen.

The only explanation I can come up with is someone has spiked your Texas water with some type of workaholic chemical.

Reply to
Dave

Yeah ... it's called "woodworking", which, when the "Subject" above does NOT contain "OT" (by popular and considerate usage/convention) is supposedly the subject of this little gathering, eh? :)

BTW, wait until you see what Leon is working on now. Got a SU preview Saturday and I'm envious ...

Reply to
Swingman

So what brought us out of the "ice age"

Reply to
Leon

LOL Well not the same degree of difficulty as in your previous set of chairs and the current set. Hopefully it will be as successful as your master piece set of chairs. Ill start a new thread so as to hopefully not hijack this one. ;`)

Reply to
Leon

Milankovitch cycles.

There's little doubt that the planet has warmed in the past

100 years. It is the magnitude of the warming and the cause of the warming that disputed. There is little reliable data prior to 1900 for surface and sea-surface temperatures. There is little data prior to 1970 regarding sea-ice extent and area.

As for Han's 20-foot seawalls in Houston, one must realize that even were 100% of the sea ice (e.g. arctic ice) to melt, sea-level wouldn't change. For sea-level to rise substantially, glacial ice and landborne ice (e.g. the Greenland and Antarctica ice caps) would need to melt. The best estimates are that the Antarctica ice cap would take several thousand years to melt completely at a much higher temperature that even the IPCC predicts for the next hundred years or so (and their predictions have been much higher than has actually been observed since the first and second IPCC reports).

Sea level is a function of the temperature of the water (water expands as it warms), isostatic rebound (much shoreline is still rebounding from the ice cover in the last ice age), wind/currents (sea level is higher on windward side than leeward side), fresh-water influx, glacial melting et alia.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:UZWIs.1743$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.iad:

That is all correct, but no one knows whether warming will reach an equilibrium, whether it will continue to warm at the present rate, or whether the rate of warming will keep increasing. There are good reasons to believe the latter (temp going up faster and faster) if we don't do something. In fact there is likely something we could do to cool things, but that is without precedent, and affecting weather globally by a single or a few national (?) entities will really rile up people. I am referring to proposed attempts to cool the atmosphere by injecting screens of some sort into the stratosphere, as mother nature has done with volcanic eruptions (look up little ice age and Krakatao).

Reply to
Han

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:09:13 -0600, Leon

I'm not talking about regular cycles of heating and cooling over thousands of years. I'm talking about the current act ivies of man that seem to mirror present day global warming.

Sure, you might want to suggest that it's just another global heating cycle attributable to nature and has little to do with man, but what if you're wrong?

The trends we're seeing right now are more severe than they have been in the past. Are you prepared to just sit there and say "Nah, there's no way man could be causing it."?

I *know* you're smarter than that.

Reply to
Dave

You mean, zero?