Re: Edge of plywood table top.

Doesn't make much difference in my opinion. Whichever way is easiest to apply the whole strip is good as far as I'm concerned.
One thing I do prefer however is the type of veneer stripping. I've used both the iron on type and the use your own white glue type. I believe the use your own glue type holds better. It takes longer to install and having some edge clamps makes the work go a lot faster. However, the iron on type is easier to use. Both types work well and hold fine.
Upscale wrote:

If it is a really nice table top, consider putting a real wood border around it. Looks much better than edge banding.
Several coats of poly will give plenty of protection, but will look like plastic unless you rub it out. Done properly, it will look like a high quality hand rubbed finish that looks very professional.
One coat of poly thinned about 10% with mineral spirits lightly sand Second, third coats full strength, sand between with 320 grit Fourth coat if needed
Cure for at least two weeks, four is better
Wet sand with 400 grit Rub with pumice Rub with rottenstone Wax Admire

Not only will a solid wood edging look better, it may prove more durable. A thin veneer edging presents a sort of "sharp" edge when something is dragged across it, say a sleeve of a jacket, and is more likely to be caught and separated from the table top. A solid edging, say 1/4-inch thick, with rounded edges, will present a softer, more forgiving surface to objects which may drag across that edge.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good thoughts. I will see what's available CB
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks for the help CB
Upscale wrote:

On another note...
I like the iron-on stuff for shelf edging, but prefer a thicker solid edge for table tops. The thicker edge can stand up to life's bumps that a table top may see. It's also really easy to put a decorative edge on the solid wood.