Re: Drilling Method

Using a grace and bit or a spade bit, you start the hole from each side and let them meet in the middle.Does NOT work with a twist drill bit.

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Sep 9, 2003, 11:48am (EDT+4) From: > snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) >This might sound silly, but it works - did you ever have to drill a hole >in wood >that had to come out accurately on the other side? Say there was a metal >plate with a 1/4" hole in it sandwiched to a 3" piece of oak, and you >had no access from the metal side but you had to run the hole through >the oak - if you can place the tip of your index finger of your free >hand over the hole in the metal, put it there and start drilling from >the other side, thinking, "if I >don't move my finger, I'll drill right through it" - then remove the >finger >after the >bit is well started in - your hole will end up accurately placed enough >that you can get a bolt through. Sounds goofy, but its never failed me. >****************************************************** >A twist drill made for making holes in metal will wander with the grain >when drilling wood no matter what you do. A brad point bit or a Forstner >bit will drill a straight hole in wood. >Peace ~ Sir Edgar >øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø
Reply to
Ramsey

Sounds interesting, but I probably would forget to move my finger.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I agree that a brad point bit will start the hole better, but I'm saying there's no access for the drill from the one side.

Reply to
BUB 209

And if you do forget the first time, you won't forget any of the subsequent times!

Reply to
BUB 209

That sounds kind of dangerous to me. I focus on holding the drill perpendicular to the board, and it works good enough.. Also, a drill press is the ultimate ass kicker for accurately drilling holes.

Reply to
jim wilson

Heh. On Sunday, I was in a hurry, and I didn't want to change jigs. The result was that I tried five times, and failed five times, to drill three holes the same distance from the edge of a small piece of wood, on my DP.

Then I locked up the shop and found something else to do.

I told him his train was just going to have to wait. When you get into a downward spiral like that, your work quality just ain't gonna get any better.

Reply to
Silvan