Re: Drill Press Table suggestions

I have the Rockler equivalent on my JET, and wouldn't want to be with out it, or at least a shop made alternative. The size of the table over the stock cast table is really a big bonus. Handles longer or larger stock with ease, and includes the t-tracks for quick clamping with toggle clamps. The fence is also a nice addition to a drill press, allowing you to easily drill holes along the same line or duplicate hole placement in multiple pieces. Has dust collection too. Not sure of all of the features of the FastTrack, but the Rockler version have replacable table inserts that can be drilled to accomodate sanding drums. All together a great product... Mine came in a package deal with the press, but it runs about $100 if I remember right.
-- Brian www.wood-workers.com/users/lavoie

Make one with some scrap plywood and, if you want to get fancy, some Fastrack parts. Make your fence out of hardwood and 90 degree aluminum angle iron from the borg. Mine cost me less than $20 and a relaxed Sunday morning.
I find that I seldom use the Fastrac slots and hold downs I built into mine, but I do use the fence a great deal.
Tip: If you use a drill press vice very often as I do, for sharpening mortising bits in my case, be sure to cut the same slots in the new table that you have in the old table.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/16/03

http://www.woodpeck.com/ttdrillpress.html
I bought this one and am very happy with it. As others have said, you can make one if you want to take the time. Mine is held onto the DP table by two large toggle clamps underneath and is quick and easy to remove. Also screwed two pieces of wood on the underneath side to guide it onto the DP table and keep it centered.
--
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com