Re: Dowel jigs

Doug, I may be wrong, but as I understand how those things work (if they're what I think they are) is that you drill the holes for you initial dowels. Slide a dowel into the freshly drilled hole, place one of those pointy little caps on it, then match it up to the piece of wood you want to join to the dowel, give the set up a tap with a mallet. When you pull the two pieces apart, there is a dimple on the piece to be drilled. Supposedly, when you make the drill and insert the dowel, it will match up both pieces of wood.
If, in fact, this is the correct way to use these, I hope you have better luck than I did.
Disclaimer, what I just posted may just be a POS and I may have my head up my butt.
Blake

yes, this is indeed how they work, I use them a lot with great success. if you are doing "case work" then the clamp on type do work better. I use them where you can't get the clamp on jig, or any jig, to fit. I used them for my shop stool to set the dowels for the legs, both panels that the legs attach to were wider than the jig and I wanted 2 dowels so they were not centered.
The catch is you have to have the alignment PERFECT, before you tap with the mallet. Other wise you might as well use a dart from across the room to make your mark.
BRuce
Blake McCully wrote:

little ways into one board, cut it off a little proud, and tap the boards together.
Oh yes, you have to be able to drive the nail straight :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

in defense of the "dowel points" once you have one hole it is easier, IMHO, to set the other. rather than having 2 opportunities for the drill to wander, you have only one.
BRuce
Larry Blanchard wrote:

My set fit INTO the holes. There may be others out there that fit onto the dowel. However, by fitting into the holes the two pieces of wood are in close proximity when the dowel points make their little dimples. They work well as long as you drill both holes nice and square.
--
David Chamberlain

snipped-for-privacy@nospamhotmail.com
that is what a drill press is for. :-)
BRuce
David B. Chamberlain wrote:

All of these I have ever seen went into the holes. They are generally known as dowel centers.

depends on what your purpose is. <grin>
What you found are 'centering guides'. the button on the bottom goes in an already drilled hole, then you press the _other_ piece up against it. The point makes a dimple in the mating piece, showing where you drill the hole in _that_ piece. A real doweling jig is still a good idea, to get the hole straight -- unless you're using a drill-press, that is..
Check out www.onlinetoolreviews.com within the next 24 hours. We will shortly be posting a review of the Dowelmax Doweling Jig. It's a little pricy at US$169 but if your going to be making a lot of Dowel joints, then we found this jig to be the "Rolls Royce" of Dowel Systems.
Very precise, very accurate, and pretty much guaranteed a perfect result everytime. Very impressive indeed, but I guess you are paying for the accuracy, so it comes down to personal choice I guess :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System ------------------------------------------------------------