RE: dovetail machine

Leigh advantages:

24" capacity infinitley variable spacing

Akeda advantages: Router supported both sides Dust collection Set up time

I obviously like each as I own them.

It's a matter of choice: Dozuki or Dovetail or gents saw. (my $25 dozuki gets almost all my dovetail duties, however, my Adria dovetail saw looks REALLY nice). Vanilla or Chocolate?

Check out your options, look at whats available, talk to people that own one or both.

In all honesty the best dovetail machine is Frank Klaus. Whatch his video, he is an animal.

Reply to
srazor

Hi all,

Somewhat related....

Does anyone know much about the incra jig as far as dovetails are concerned? I was wondering if it's easy enough to use for dovetail work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

dovetail duties, however, my Adria dovetail saw looks REALLY nice). Vanilla or Chocolate?

video, he is an animal.

Reply to
Cromwell

The Harbor Freight, Rockler, Woodstock and others market this same blue dovetail jig with very slight modifications. Woodstock has a very good manual on their website. Out of the box, you have to push the clamps either forward or back (back or in the direction the cam pushes the clamp is the best) to justify it or you will get variations in the results. Sometimes you feel that you need 3 or 4 hands to accomplish this well. You need to be sure that you do the setup with the clamp justified in the same direction. Even the Woodstock manual seems to neglect discussing this. It also neglects to tell you that, being fixed in spacing, you can't get a consistant half pin at both the top and bottom of the drawer for all drawer dimensions.

I built some alignment pins in my jig to make it easier to use and not have to go to this trouble, but it involves some time.

Reply to
Eric Anderson

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eric Anderson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I gave mine away to someone more patient than I, after I kept dropping finely milled stock onto the shop floor, and dinging up the corners.

That was better than flinging into the street, cursing, which seemed at the time to be the other reasonable option.

Life's too short for cheap, poorly designed tools. If you can't afford one of the better built jigs, even if it is one of these types, then cutting DTs by hand is probably the better option. But the Porter Cable version of this tool is well made, as are other similar designs.

The blue jig really doesn't save time or money.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Reply to