re Doug Miller

tried your answer to how to clean your saw blades, you were right the tar and dirt just about jump off the blade

Amazing, ain't it? It works even more dramatically on bandsaw blades. Half the crud lifts off as the blade sinks through the water, leaving a brown ring floating above it.
For those who missed my original post, or wonder what Dave is talking about:
Dissolve about a quarter cup of washing soda in about a quart of warm water. Soak the blade in this solution for five minutes. Rinse and dry.
"washing soda" ???? what brand and where do you get it ???
Doug Miller wrote:

Arm & Hammer is the only brand I know of.
Most grocery stores will have it on the laundry-detergent aisle, usually right next to the Borax. Real hardware stores, such as Ace or Tru-Value, will have it with cleaning supplies. Forget about trying to find it at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, or Home Depot.
Do a Google Groups search -- the subject was beaten to death, and then some, on this newsgroup a couple of months ago. The search should turn up some links to photos of the package.
If you're unable to get it at retail where you live, you can probably order it from Arm & Hammer. Or I can send you some -- it's really easy for me to get. E-mail me at the address shown below in my sig line if you want me to do that.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:18:01 +0000, Pat Barber wrote:

Arm & Hammer - same stuff you use for derusting. Get it in the laundry aisle of your local supermarket. In a mostly yellow box, just like A&H baking soda.
-Doug