Re: Door latch fixing question

Marndin wrote:
| Could someone please recommend a glue/fixing compound to secure a | door latch fitting in wood. Pictures attached.
news:rec.woodworking is a text-only newsgroup. You're asking the question in the right place; but many readers who might be helpful probably won't see them here. I'd suggest posting the photos to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
| I have tried a couple of things but they haven't secured it well | enough.
Ok, what have you tried? It'd also help to know how the door and latch are used and abused. The part looks like hand-forged iron - does it have antique value that you'd like to preserve? What is the wood?
| Many thanks to anyone who repiles.
The latch almost begs for a small plate with a rectangular hole for the existing part to be welded into with a couple of screw holes for some mechanical reinforcement. If there's a smith in your area, this might be a good time to make his/her acquaintance. :-)
That appears ast you the latch is supposed too be held in a fixed position and Duhrums Rock Hard Water Putty http://www.waterputty.com/ has been used to fill the widening hole.
IME, wood putties tend to dry to a brittle state and offer little strength. I would try to remove all as much of the putty as possible and try again using 60-minute epoxy. It might be a little runny and ooze out of the hole. Work it back into the hole as it starts to firm up a bit... this may be over the course of an hour depending in the temperature (epoxy cures slowly at lower temps). After a couple hours (YMMV) the epoxy will be very firm but not *hard* (when you can no longer sink your fingernail into it). This is a good time to trim it flush with a chisel.
Regards,
Steve